Off season project: pedestal guard replacement

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Off season project: pedestal guard replacement

Post by Jim Walsh »

When I was returning from Bermuda last season I grabbed my pedestal guard for support when returning to the cockpit after putting a reef in the main….and it snapped on the starboard side at the juncture of an instrument pod. The guard remained in place but I tried not to grab it on that side. The following day I effected a temporary fix by splinting it with three 1/4X20 bolts, a couple hose clamps and rigging tape to ensure nothing snagged on it.
It was a 1” guard and I could have had a replacement made but I figured it was time to upgrade to a 1 1/8” guard. I have a Yacht Specialties pedestal so this wasn’t going to be easy as they ceased operation years ago. After searching the web I found that Garmin (who would have ever thought an instrument maker would have played a role in this project) offers not only a selection of pedestal guards in several profiles and sizes, but also a key component, that being a pedestal guard bracket which fits a Yacht Specialties pedestal and allows the use of a 1 1/8” pedestal guard. This component converts from a 12 1/2” wide guard to today’s standard 12” wide, although 9 1/2” is also used today. I also ordered new pods for my MFD and autopilot.

It wasn’t fun stripping off the components to be replaced as it necessitated removing the compass, throttle, gear selector, and their associated linkages, …..and all the wiring. Plus the mounting bases for the old pedestal, once removed, revealed wiring holes and mounting holes. These had to be ground out, filled with glass, faired and gel coated in preparation for the new bases to be installed. Fill old holes and make new ones sums it up.

Now….finally…I was able to start putting things back together. It’s always a bit nerve wracking but fun playing with new stuff. Everything went back together reasonably easily. The guard height had to be trimmed by 5 1/2” but you really can’t tell precisely until everything is put back together. So….take it all apart once again, trim the legs, and put it all back together again….oh well, it’s all fun, more fun than any day I ever had at the office anyway.
I’m very happy with the result.
Attachments
Arrow showing location of break.
Arrow showing location of break.
89472A11-9A37-4289-8E29-0524B537C46B.jpeg (468.25 KiB) Viewed 231 times
Old guard bracket and width measurement.
Old guard bracket and width measurement.
37B9C2CC-B685-4C17-BCBF-5B6A8F81579E.jpeg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 231 times
Old components being removed.
Old components being removed.
8CF50A50-B26C-4679-BE40-5C498B5CA200.jpeg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 231 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Jim Walsh

Re: Off season project: pedestal guard replacement

Post by Jim Walsh »

Additional photos;
Attachments
Everything stripped off the pedestal but the old guard bases are yet to be removed.
Everything stripped off the pedestal but the old guard bases are yet to be removed.
497C418D-C238-4763-999C-61A5F52DC6B3.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 230 times
Old pedestal guard mounting holes ground out awaiting glass and gel coat.
Old pedestal guard mounting holes ground out awaiting glass and gel coat.
0BDB8872-6E07-48F2-8D3E-A287924EFC4C.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 230 times
Project completed. Woo hoo….
Project completed. Woo hoo….
437F69BF-A125-44D7-9F02-16DCB88E62B2.jpeg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 230 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Jim Walsh wrote:When I was returning from Bermuda last season I grabbed my pedestal guard for support when returning to the cockpit after putting a reef in the main….and it snapped on the starboard side at the juncture of an instrument pod.
Yikes! That could have been much worse had it happened in bad conditions when you really needed something to hang onto.

I'm guessing that the white parts are cast aluminum? I don't know why, but it somehow always amazes me to see that marine equipment manufacturers don't know enough not to put different kinds of metals in direct contact with each other.

Nice job on the replacement!

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Good job, Jim. It impresses me how early in the season you start on boat projects. You've put a burr under my
saddle to get going on my own to-do list. Fair winds, Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

wikakaru wrote:
Jim Walsh wrote:When I was returning from Bermuda last season I grabbed my pedestal guard for support when returning to the cockpit after putting a reef in the main….and it snapped on the starboard side at the juncture of an instrument pod.
Yikes! That could have been much worse had it happened in bad conditions when you really needed something to hang onto.

I'm guessing that the white parts are cast aluminum? I don't know why, but it somehow always amazes me to see that marine equipment manufacturers don't know enough not to put different kinds of metals in direct contact with each other.

Nice job on the replacement!

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Yes, the pedestal guard bracket which mounts to the pedestal and supports the frame was aluminum. Impossible to slide the stainless guard out of the bracket but they were removed as one unit. The new stainless pedestal guard bracket has nylon bushings so the stainless guard is insulated from it. Future removal would be simple.
It was nice of the guard to crack in mild weather. I wear a harness religiously offshore but I don’t want to test it. We come to expect handholds to be rock solid.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Frenchy wrote:Good job, Jim. It impresses me how early in the season you start on boat projects. You've put a burr under my
saddle to get going on my own to-do list. Fair winds, Jean
Thanks Jean. These projects were started last fall. Obtaining components and prep work is my winter enjoyment. My desire is to ensure I’m ready to go a month from now, then I’m just waiting for a weather window before I head back to Bermuda for a couple months. All I need now is a couple days in the mid fifties to apply a fresh coat of bottom paint.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Uh. I hope you don't leave before Cabin Fever Lunch on April 9th. We're counting on you to be our speaker. Yes, that was a shameless plug for Cabin Fever Lunch. Get those registrations in!
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton