CD 26 Compass Replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dgsail
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 26, Hull 50, Bridget, Montrose Harbor, ChicagoOriginal Owner

CD 26 Compass Replacement

Post by dgsail »

I had an aquameter saturn bulkhead compass A141 or A142. It can note be repaired. I'm looking to find a replacement that also has the clinometer at the bottom rather than having to install a separate part like the Ritchie SR-2 . I'd like to simply pop the new one into the current cut out. The defective one is 3-3/4. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Debbie G.
Debbie Garrity
Frenchy

Re: CD 26 Compass Replacement

Post by Frenchy »

i mounted a Plastimo Contest 101 in a previous boat and was happy with it. It needs a 4-3/4" cut out though. I
think most of the bulkhead compasses out there now need a bigger cut out than 3-3/4. The Plastimo is available in
a vertical or slanted bulkhead model and also in different colors. Defender's price is $247 or thereabouts. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

The Ritchie bulkhead mounted compass in the picture below fits a 3-3/4 inch hole. Sorry, I don't have the model number, but they do exist. If for some reason you can't find one, it's no big deal to enlarge the hole. Just curious what your objection is to the separate clinometer. It works and looks fine, at least to me. Excuse the old blown out genoa. I have since gotten new sails. By the way, I'm impressed that you are the original owner!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I use a Richie Navigator on the Far Reach. It has an integrated inclinometer. It may be a little larger than what you're looking for. It has worked flawlessly for almost 7 years of ocean sailing. It is one of my primary navigation tools and I have come to rely on its smooth and accurate operation.

I think the model is BN 202.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.