Recoating varnish on drop boards

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

csoule13

Recoating varnish on drop boards

Post by csoule13 »

Did up the teak drop boards three years ago using Le Tonkinois. Time to put on a few more coats, this time with Epiphanes. If I understand correctly, give them a light wash, scuff up the old varnish with 220 grit and then normal varnish technique for application?

Edit: In case it matters, the side facing the outdoors has some light crazing, and the boards have 6-8 coats on them. Last touched up before the 2019 season.
Jim Walsh

Re: Recoating varnish on drop boards

Post by Jim Walsh »

I’m not familiar with the properties of Le Tonkinois. If you want to ensure the Epifanes is compatible just contact them https://www.epifanes.com/page/contact-us
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I've used Epiphanes clear gloss in several applications - cedar strip canoe and dinghy hulls, heavily used countertops and brightwork. Femme's washboards are finished with it and they have held up remarkably. It is good, tough stuff and I am a fan.

It took me some practice applying it decently as it is thick. You really want good lighting for any fine fishing work. I use foam brushes, sand between coats with something between 180 and 220 grit, higher grit for the last coat, and I always thin the first coat or two on bare wood.
Paul
CDSOA Member
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

a shout out to interlux flagship varnish along with 333 brushing liquid. i switched from epifanes and have been impressed. flagship is advertised to have more solids and UV filters than the competitors. it dries smooth hard and fast.
Last edited by gonesail on Mar 5th, '22, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I recoat my drop boards exterior side every season. I use 320 grit or maroon 3M sanding pads. Then Epifanes applied with a good foam roller and tipped with a foam brush. 2 coats.
I apply the same schedule to all the exterior varnish.
With the minor cracks I think 220g might be better.
Jeff
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I would not, as a matter of course, apply one kind of varnish over something different. To easy for things to go wrong. Nothing could be simpler than removing an old finish from drop boards. A heat gun and a pull scraper get you back to bare teak very fast. Some light sanding then varnish.

I have never varnished the teak drop boards on the FR. Bare teak looks great offset against the varnished interior wood of the companionway trim.

If you leave the drop board bare they are easy to stack and eliminate the worry of scratching them.
Last edited by John Stone on Mar 7th, '22, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

220 to remove crazing then at least 3 coats more using 320. I coat them every year, 1-2 coats is not enough. This is what I do at work and on my boat ..