Leoma update. Gerry jugs

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

Leoma update. Gerry jugs

Post by JD-MDR »

I have a question about-carrying jugs of fuel in the cockpit locker. I had an Inspection a few yrs ago and he made me remove them because there isn’t enough ventilation. Does any one want to comment. I plan to carry 4 jugs and prefer not to carry them on deck.
Another small project on Monday. I think I will lash a 1x6 board with seine twine
to my stanchions as temporary bulwarks, maybe redwood or something cheap. I noticed Sam Holmes used u- bolts and looks like DF 2x6. I dont want any hardware and think 1x will be ok it might be just for this cruise 3-6 mo
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Re: Leoma update. Gerry jugs

Post by Jim Walsh »

The first time I went to Bermuda I carried a couple five gallon diesel jugs and lashed them in the cockpit to my pedestal guard. I found it to be a pain in the butt. I didn’t want to lash them to boards attached to the shrouds as they impede movement on the side decks. That might be a viable solution for larger boats but I wasn’t comfortable with it on my boat. I feel ease of movement fore and aft on deck is a priority.
All my subsequent trips I’ve had two or three five gallon “No-Spill” brand jugs secured in my cockpit locker. I know it’s not an ideal solution but I’ve never had any issues during my next five trips. They are cushioned from chafe by old cockpit throw cushions wherever they make contact with any surface. I take a peek at them once a day to ensure their integrity. I have a 2 1/2 gallon “No-Spill” gas jug (dinghy outboard fuel) secured on my aft deck and my propane bottle is in a bracket bolted to my stern rail. Both of those items are explosive and are kept where any breach of integrity would allow them to vent topside.
We all have to decide what works for us, there are few real wrong answers.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I think I am on the same lines with you Jim. Thanks for responding
I bought 2x4 DF. For makeshift bulwarks They were too thick. I couldnt go home so I ripped one with the skill saw and cleaned it a little with the planer to about7/8”. What a pain. Ill take the other one home and use the table saw. I dont think I need to run them all the way to the stern. I’ll stop somewhere near the canvass. Its only a temporary safety thing. I wish They could be perfect like “Far Reach”. Funny. All they neighbirs are asking me if they are for my spare water and fuel jugs. I have to tell them they are for safety.
I had another idea so i can fit more books and clothing etc on the shelf. Instead of ugly webbing or mounting a bar or board I put-clear plexiglass. that can slide either way. It works good. Both these projects I didnt have to drill any holes in the boat or add any hardware. Ithink they will work fine
Attachments
56CB9F0C-152D-4D05-B37B-551566C69912.jpeg
56CB9F0C-152D-4D05-B37B-551566C69912.jpeg (3.11 MiB) Viewed 548 times
BC576A90-3C9E-43E6-B366-462D80B0833A.jpeg
BC576A90-3C9E-43E6-B366-462D80B0833A.jpeg (3.62 MiB) Viewed 550 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

John I appreciate you think the FR is perfect but she has a number of compromises. The cockpit well well was sized for a wheel but I have a tiller so you can't brace your feet on the opposite cockpit seats like a boat with a narrower well designed for a tiller. My bridge deck traveller is a compromise. It's in the way of easily erecting a sun awning. The cockpit coamings capture water on the outboard high side offshore sailing up wind, etc. I could go on about it. But she's perfect enough fir me.

I have a 5 gallon racing fuel jug with a wide mouth that I keep in the port locker same as Jim. I think it cost $35. I posted on here somewhere about it. It works well. Easy to pour. Seems tough. Yellow for diesel. Not in the sunlight so not susceptible to UV. Just an extra five gallons. How much fuel do we need on a boat that sails well. There are a lot of people out there cruising claiming to be sailors but they seem very worried about having to sail when the conditions are not absolutely perfect so they motor. They may be on a sailboat but are not sailors in their heart and soul. I'm not criticizing them if that is their comfort place but I mention it to those reading this thread that many people out there "cruising" are not a good examples of what you need if you really long to be a sailor. I apologize if I am just yammering.

Anyway you have done some very good practical mods. But I suspect like all of us you'll you'll always be thinking how to make something bette, more reliable, and hopefully simpler. It seems a never ending quest.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

John Stone wrote:John I appreciate you think the FR is perfect but she has a number of compromises. The cockpit well well was sized for a wheel but I have a tiller so you can't brace your feet on the opposite cockpit seats like a boat with a narrower well designed for a tiller. My bridge deck traveller is a compromise. .
Yea but little by little you are making her as perfect as can be. You are so sensitive. I meant it as a compliment on your awesome work. Your thoughtful workmanship and patience are amazing.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

JD-MDR wrote:
John Stone wrote:John I appreciate you think the FR is perfect but she has a number of compromises. The cockpit well well was sized for a wheel but I have a tiller so you can't brace your feet on the opposite cockpit seats like a boat with a narrower well designed for a tiller. My bridge deck traveller is a compromise. .
Yea but little by little you are making her as perfect as can be. You are so sensitive. I meant it as a compliment on your awesome work. Your thoughtful workmanship and patience are amazing.
I took it as a great compliment and appreciated it very much. I am unashamedly happy with my boat but at the same time I am a bit sensitive to others misreading my warm feelings for the FR and think I think my boat is superior and others should try to emulate it. I would never want that. Inspire other to improve their boat in the ways available to them? Absolutely. But cause anyone to think their boat inadequate or somehow not worthy of its purpose because they they don't have the time or resource I have been fortunate enough to have? I would never want that. That's all I meant to convey.

I'll write something on my thread about a very cool 1966 Amel 36 anchored near. Very old Polish sailor has had her for 30 years and circumnavigated at least once. I was aboard her last night. She a bit beat up and road hard but she oozes toughness, determination and magic in heavy doses.

You can tell the other boats around her are a little intimidated by her rugged confidence and worldly experience.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

My port cockpit locker with a single five gallon diesel jug.
Attachments
C8E8C701-FB57-4CF6-A720-DA84CBF4849D.jpeg
C8E8C701-FB57-4CF6-A720-DA84CBF4849D.jpeg (213.99 KiB) Viewed 520 times
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

These makeshift bulwarks are finished for now.. At first I had it on the inside of the stanchions. It seemed right but didnt look good and made the runway much narrower. Outside is better. and I think I will lash around the whole board . I'm afraid this kiln dried wood will dry up and split before too long. I put wood preservative and think it can be painted over when it dries. This will be good for now and I have some good ideas if I ever decide to build nice ones later.(copy Far Reach) :D
bulwarks.jpg
bulwarks.jpg (131.96 KiB) Viewed 493 times
Attachments
Bulwarks II.jpg
Bulwarks II.jpg (118.21 KiB) Viewed 493 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

John,
Those bulkheads are looking real nice. Good work. I notice the bike lashed to the starboard rail, is that going to be there for your voyage? If so, I don't think the jerry cans will create any more of an obstruction than the bike.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks Tim.. The bike isn't going with me and the jugs wont be there I want that way clear. The jugs will fit back by the cockpit . I haven't decided yet. I can fit at least one in the locker. I also want the stbd locker clear so I can access my steering gear and the bilge outlet. Or at least easily cleared without having to pull too much stuff out of the way. You can see one of the yellow containers way back past the bike wheel.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

JD your boat looks great--the canvas work, the scrubbed bare teak toe and rub rail, the topside gelcoat. She looks tidy and shipshape. I agree the bulwarks look better on the outside of the stanchions.

You have also done a lot of sailing back and forth to Catalina, etc. So, hopefully you won't have any surprises when you are on your voyage. If you have not done so already climb your rig and inspect every wire end terminal, bolt, nut, and cotter pin. You have to be feeling good about all you have accomplished.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Screenshot 2022-02-01 at 20-20-12 Channel Islands of California · California.png
Screenshot 2022-02-01 at 20-20-12 Channel Islands of California · California.png (51.7 KiB) Viewed 480 times
:) :D :)

Actually I haven't been to Catalina in years. I've been exploring all the other Channel Islands; Anacapa Island, Santa Barbara Island ,Santa Cruz Island, Santa Rosa and San Miquel. They are al part of the National Park and Marine Sanctuary and are protected from development unlike Catalina
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

JD-MDR wrote:I have a question about-carrying jugs of fuel in the cockpit locker. I had an Inspection a few yrs ago and he made me remove them because there isn’t enough ventilation. Does any one want to comment. I plan to carry 4 jugs and prefer not to carry them on deck.
Of critical importance to answer that question is knowing the CONTENTS of the jugs.

You should never store GASOLINE in a locker that is not sealed in such a way that it can't leak into the cabin and that is not vented overboard. Gasoline vapor is both heavier than air and ignites easily with a spark. So something like static electricity, lighting the stove, or running anything with an electric motor (like the pressure water pump, starter, alternator) could blow up the boat if the contents of a jug spill and the vapor makes its way into the cabin or bilge.

I haven't been able to locate any standards for storing DIESEL. (If someone can point me to an ABYC or USCG standard, I'd appreciate it.) You may want to contact that surveyor and ask him specifically about his objection if was to diesel jugs. Diesel is not as explosive as gasoline. I don't know if I wouldn't worry at all about storing diesel jugs in a locker that vents inside, but I would certainly worry less about storing diesel jugs than gasoline jugs.

Smooth sailing,

Jim