Gel Coat Stains Below Portlights

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Keevil

Gel Coat Stains Below Portlights

Post by Tom Keevil »

C58BBB92-194A-4D65-8D91-CE0965015ACD.jpeg
Due to COVID border closings and family events, we could not visit our boat for nearly two years. Inside all was well, outside was filthy. Here is a photo of gel coat stains below the portlights. This is not the first time we have seen these. In the past we removed the stain with FSR and then waxed the gel coat. The stains always return, and are becoming increasingly difficult to remove. Anyone have any experience or ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
LeeMurdy

Re: Gel Coat Stains Below Portlights

Post by LeeMurdy »

Tom I'd try polishing with 3m Finesse-it polish. I'm wondering if what you have been using somewhat opens the pores on the gelcoat, allowing it to accumulate future dirt more quickly and thoroughly. As you probably know polish is a fine abrasive contained in a cream. Compound is an even more aggressive abrasive contained in cream. Maybe start with polish, see it it removes the stains and leaves a smooth surface. If so, then wax. If the surface is not real smooth, maybe try compounding, wipe away, then polish, then wax. I'm pretty sure that will create a much more stain resistant surface for you. Many will say the compounding/polishing has to be down by machine (polisher), but I've had good result from applying by hand. Takes elbow grease, but I'm sure you'd be happy with the result. That 3m Finesse-it is magic stuff.
LeeMurdy

Post by LeeMurdy »

Tom, looking at your photo again, I'd also suggest Finesse-it on your portlight glass. It should clean off the film shown in the photo. When applying, rub in well, feel and see it work. If you need more, apply more and really rub it well. A spray water bottle can help keep the process moving smoothly, but don't apply to much water. Again, given the nature of the abrasive in cream, your goal is to use the abrasive to lightly "sand" the gelcoat smooth and lightly sand that film off your glass. Takes effort but it really works.
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

Thank you Lee. I will give it a try.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Tom,

If you have the bronze screens, make sure the copper rod part of the screen is facing towards the inside of the boat, otherwise the screen itself will be up against the glass. The bronze screen can damage the glass. So just turn the screens around and try Lee’s suggestion to clean things up.
LeeMurdy wrote:Tom, looking at your photo again, I'd also suggest Finesse-it on your portlight glass. It should clean off the film shown in the photo. When applying, rub in well, feel and see it work. If you need more, apply more and really rub it well. A spray water bottle can help keep the process moving smoothly, but don't apply to much water. Again, given the nature of the abrasive in cream, your goal is to use the abrasive to lightly "sand" the gelcoat smooth and lightly sand that film off your glass. Takes effort but it really works.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

Thanks Cathy. The glass in these ports is actually fine. I think we’re seeing some combination of dirt and light reflection in this photo. We do have John’s bronze screens, but we only put them in when there are insects around, which is relatively infrequent out here. We’re looking forward to Spring when we can get Rover looking decent again. Then there is the bottom. We usually haul the boat every two years, but last time decided to stretch it to three. One month before our scheduled haul in April 2020, they closed the Canadian border, and we are now approaching five years!

Congratulations on your new boat, and thank you for all the energy you have invested over the years to help make this such a successful site.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover