A Bad Mooring Chain

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

A Bad Mooring Chain

Post by John Stone »

I dove a friend's mooring chain today down in the Virgin Islands. I am not on this mooring. This chain was doubled and about 35' long. He said it was installed about three years ago. I think it was probably longer than that but by how much I don't know.

Look at that chain! Most of the links in both chains were similar.

I am always surprised when sailors pick up a mooring they know nothing about with the naive confidence they can trust it to hold their boat. You must dive a mooring unless you are positive it is properly maintained.

Scary stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Re: A Bad Mooring Chain

Post by Jim Walsh »

Very scary….not aggressive shark scary, but still life threatening scary. Is that a GoPro image?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Jim Walsh wrote: Is that a GoPro image?
Aye, that it is. Pulled from a video.
Sleepwalker

Post by Sleepwalker »

Yikes! Were they all like that or just the ones in and out of the bottom?
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Sleepwalker wrote:Yikes! Were they all like that or just the ones in and out of the bottom?
Many of links of the chain on the bottom were just like that one.
Sleepwalker

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks. That's what I was told, the most wear occurs where the chain goes in and out of the bottom.