"Leoma" update rudder

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

JD-MDR

"Leoma" update rudder

Post by JD-MDR »

I'm really glad I had this checked out. From the surface all we saw was a tiny little crack in the fiberglass. I'm attaching the yards(Derektors) appraisal;
We removed your propeller shaft, rudder and rudder pintle, here's what we found and what actions we have taken so far:
1) Problem: The fiberglass at the pintle was badly deteriorated.  
     Solution: we ground off the bad fiberglass and repaired it. The pintle will be reinstalled after the rudder is repaired 
2) Problem: The engine was significantly out of alignment and the cutlass bearing worn out.  
     Solution: We will install a new cutlass bearing, reinstall the shaft and realign the engine after the rudder has been repaired and reinstalled (you cannot remove the rudder with the prop shaft in place).
3) Problem: The rudder is full of water, and the rudder post is badly corroded (see photo).
     Solution:  remove a portion of the fiberglass outer shell of the rudder to both dry out the rudder and inspect the internal portion of the rudder post to determine the level of difficulty (and cost) to replace the post and repair the rudder

They have agreed to replace the cutlass bearing and realign the shaft no charge since they are the ones who installed the new motor mounts and did the alignment last November
Attachments
image.png
image.png (3.15 MiB) Viewed 695 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Re: "Leoma" update rudder

Post by JD-MDR »

Here is what it looks like. In case anyone is interested. Not as bad as we thought. We expected a couple steel bars or fins welded to the main bar
C464A124-2E82-4ABE-9110-0F9D18569FF6.jpeg
C464A124-2E82-4ABE-9110-0F9D18569FF6.jpeg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 662 times
Last edited by JD-MDR on Dec 16th, '21, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Was the rudder core wet? Now would be the time to separate the rudder shell into two halves and effect a repair, only if the core has been compromised.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks Jim. Ill pass that on to the yard. Tom Derektor seeks very nice and informed. I think its the same Derektor/ Robinhood from Massachusetts or back there somewhere
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Keith

Post by Keith »

Great pic of the rudder shaft. It's good to know what it looks like inside if I ever have to dig in there.

Thanks,

Keith
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

That's a really great post John. The pictures are priceless. You might consider a special subject title for the post to aide the search engine. A lot of people can benefit from seeing how the post and rudder are configured and integrated. One of the challenges of the forum is the search engine. It's very effective but can be hard to narrow down something. Or maybe I need some schooling on using it more effectively?
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

[quote="John Stone"]That's a really great One of the challenges of the forum is the search engine. It's very effective but can be hard to narrow down something.
Yea, I have a hard time with it also. Ill try to redo it when I get more photos tomorrow.
I’m leaving Friday , driving down to Puerto Penasco Mexico Girlfried has a house thats needs refinishing. Might give me something to look forward to after my cruise.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

John, I know your having a great time down there. One guy posted a ohoto of him swimming offshore. Those waters are so blue Im so jealous. I hope when I get out. I can figure out how to get internet and post my experience.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

rudder post.JPG
rudder post.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 570 times
steering bracket.JPG
steering bracket.JPG (103.51 KiB) Viewed 573 times
Dry fit the rudder post to make sure it lined up with the worm drive coupling, then set the rudder with spots of quick setting epoxy. when that was dry we used thickened epoxy to fill the void. The glass guy will probably finish it Monday of Tuesday. They are coming up with a seal at the upper end of the rudder post to keep water out. Here is a photo of the old bracket damaged form all the salt water coming up the rudder post. I replaced it with aluminum several months ago.
By the way the rudder is a solid mix of resin and chopped fiberglass. The water that we found was only in the area by the post
Attachments
rudder dry fit.jpg
rudder dry fit.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 573 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

More photos: New rudder post, Delrin sleeve in upper part of tube. Not sure what he has planned for the shoe. He was concerned about boring the tube out some for a bearing type sleeve like "Far Reaches" shoe. They are still making a seal for the post where it comes out of the tube in addition to that sleeve
Attachments
rudder post sleeve.jpg
rudder post sleeve.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 544 times
rudder post new.jpg
rudder post new.jpg (3.67 MiB) Viewed 544 times
Last edited by JD-MDR on Dec 21st, '21, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

rudder shoe wbearing.png
rudder shoe wbearing.png (91.66 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Here is photo of the far reach show bearing . I was hoping to copy . Not sure yet what they want to do. I'm trusting the yard guys to do what they think best.
Attachments
rudder shoe.jpg
rudder shoe.jpg (3.68 MiB) Viewed 536 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

rudder new.jpg
rudder new.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 526 times
rudder post seal.jpg
rudder post seal.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 526 times
Coming along , new rudder installed . I wish they would've used rivets for the shoe. Oh Well. I didn't want to insist.
A photo of the delrin bearing and a rubber coupling . Hopefully this will solve the problem of water coming up the rudder post tube. It's not clamped into position yet. One clamp barely fits on the aluminum bracket. The other goes up on the delrin .
Also I got a survey. Although I've done a lot of improvements .The value hasn't changed since the last survey 4 yrs ago.. He told me It's pretty much the max for this boat unless its in Bristol condition. I needed the survey to upgrade my insurance.
He advised me to replace the old bobstay. Happening now.

I have a question. Please respond.. Is it completely foolish to go overseas without a liferaft and epirb. I don't have either and don't want them.? I might consider an ebirb or some thing similiar.
Might launch Friday
Last edited by JD-MDR on Dec 22nd, '21, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Good pictures. That looks like some excellent work. You have to be happy with it. That's also got to be a big load off your mind.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

JD-MDR wrote: I have a question. Please respond.. Is it completely foolish to go overseas without a liferaft and epirb. I don't have either and don't want them.? I might consider an ebirb or some thing similiar.
Might launch Friday
I have both but it is the ultimate personal decision. I feel they go hand in hand. If I have to abandon Orion I would rather step into a life raft with my EPIRB than try to tread water till help (hopefully) arrives before a shark decides to take a nibble. I’d also prefer not to step into a life raft without an EPIRB and give Dougal Robertson, of Survive the Savage Sea fame, a run for his money.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

I missed that question JD.

Agree with Jim. Personal decision. I don't carry a life raft. I have my hard dinghy and a ditch bag with water maker and fishing supplies, signal mirror, compass--things like that. I do have two EPRIBs. One is a true EPIRB. It's a McMurdo Max Fast Find. You can change the battery yourself. And the inReach has what they call an SOS feature. The EPIRB signal goes to the Maritime Coordination Center and is passed to the Rescue Coordination Center. The Garmin goes to their alert center and is then passed off to the MCC.