Off season project: prop replacement

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Off season project: prop replacement

Post by Jim Walsh »

I’ve decided to retire my old prop, a Michigan three bladed 13 RH 12 dated 1983, with a new Max-Prop Easy three bladed feathering prop. The new prop just arrived this afternoon and I’ll be test fitting it in a couple days.
Attachments
My existing prop after I had sanded the bottom this fall and partially sanded the antifouling off the prop.
My existing prop after I had sanded the bottom this fall and partially sanded the antifouling off the prop.
C700249A-03F5-4425-8028-A88FC816C702.jpeg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 782 times
As received sitting flat in the shipping container.
As received sitting flat in the shipping container.
55ADEFA5-B1F1-4461-94D7-6B1B209CC080.jpeg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 782 times
Fully feathered.
Fully feathered.
A2A48EBE-34B2-4C4C-B69C-BFCFF798E7D1.jpeg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 782 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
wikakaru

Re: Off season project: prop replacement

Post by wikakaru »

I know you will like that Max Prop, Jim. Most of my boats had fixed 3-bladed props, but one had a Max Prop and there was a vast difference in sailing performance once that Max Prop was feathered. They are expensive but oh what an indulgent luxury!

Smooth sailing,

Jim
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

You're going to love it. Congratulations.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

This may create 4 day trips to Bermuda. I thought you liked spending time offshore.

That is a thing of beauty, Steve.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Steve Laume wrote:This may create 4 day trips to Bermuda. I thought you liked spending time offshore.
Hee hee
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

jbenagh wrote:
Steve Laume wrote:This may create 4 day trips to Bermuda. I thought you liked spending time offshore.
Hee hee
Don’t encourage him, Jeff. :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

That’s a nice prop. You’ll notice the difference for sure. Looking forward to reading your report on it. Happy early Christmas.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Today the old prop was removed and it was discovered that the shaft is a couple inches too long for the new prop. The shaft was pulled with a slide hammer and has been delivered, with my new prop and the shaft coupling, to a local prop shop to be shortened. The shaft will be cleaned, inspected, and the new prop checked for proper fit. If there are any issues a new prop shaft will be made.
Since the shaft was pulled it made sense to replace the cutlass bearing, it didn’t appear to have any side-to-side movement but it was in there since 2008.
A mechanic from the yard did all the bull work and I was the assistant. I’m happy to be profiting from his experience and I wasn’t envious when he crawled under the cockpit to remove the shaft coupling…..not one bit….
Attachments
The slide hammer being used to pull the shaft. It goes much easier when all three set screws are removed as opposed to two!
The slide hammer being used to pull the shaft. It goes much easier when all three set screws are removed as opposed to two!
BFCE7550-4D05-4F6C-8D1E-C3C993E92BB2.jpeg (3.49 MiB) Viewed 718 times
The replacement cutlass bearing in place waiting to be dimpled before the set screws were tightened.
The replacement cutlass bearing in place waiting to be dimpled before the set screws were tightened.
916743BA-3751-4FB3-9DC8-D9BCF50B7DE9.jpeg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 718 times
A frequent forum contributor stopped by to add a little holiday cheer while I was absent for a few minutes. (Thanks Steve!)
A frequent forum contributor stopped by to add a little holiday cheer while I was absent for a few minutes. (Thanks Steve!)
1624E04A-9D75-440C-9A8C-610A4A556B68.jpeg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 718 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Very cool Jim. Sounds like you are in a good yard.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Hey Jim W.,

What's going on here:
Split.jpg
Split.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 708 times
It looks like the fiberglass shaft tube has been split along the set screw holes. I hope it's not serious...

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I was kind of surprised the mechanic used a slide hammer to pull the shaft out of the coupling. There's a risk
of damaging the transmission, I thought. MaineSail even noted one instance where the transmission case was
cracked using a slide hammer on the prop shaft.
Anyway, I hope all is well and maybe I'm too alarmist. - Jean
Here's a link: https://marinehowto.com/a-new-prop-shaft/
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

wikakaru wrote:Hey Jim W.,

What's going on here:
Split.jpg
It looks like the fiberglass shaft tube has been split along the set screw holes. I hope it's not serious...

Smooth sailing,

Jim
That’s a groove in the shaft log to accept a safety wire to ensure the set screws for the cutlass bearing can’t back out. Mine were installed with a little Loc-tite and I’ll replace the safety wire. The only locking wire I had on the boat was too large for this application.
This is the original shaft log so this style must have been used on other CD’s.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Frenchy wrote:I was kind of surprised the mechanic used a slide hammer to pull the shaft out of the coupling. There's a risk
of damaging the transmission, I thought. MaineSail even noted one instance where the transmission case was
cracked using a slide hammer on the prop shaft.
Anyway, I hope all is well and maybe I'm too alarmist. - Jean
Here's a link: https://marinehowto.com/a-new-prop-shaft/
Appreciate the concern and heads up. I have a PSS shaft seal which is twelve or thirteen years old. They recommend replacement of the boot every ten years. It’s being replaced and the shaft coupling had already been disconnected from the transmission output shaft. Since my shaft has to be trimmed the prop shop wanted the coupling also to face it off to ensure a 90° angle between the coupling and the shaft.
The main reason the slide hammer was used was to make the job easier.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Hi Jim,

In order to replace the PSS Seal on my boat last Winter I removed the shaft from the flange on the transmission myself (after some very helpful tips from this forum). It is tight getting under the cockpit but the PSS Seal replacement was pretty easy after that. Hope that your project goes well.

I was going to have my prop balanced and the shaft and flange machined but I couldn't get the prop off.
How did you get the old prop off?
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

keneasley wrote:Hi Jim,

In order to replace the PSS Seal on my boat last Winter I removed the shaft from the flange on the transmission myself (after some very helpful tips from this forum). It is tight getting under the cockpit but the PSS Seal replacement was pretty easy after that. Hope that your project goes well.

I was going to have my prop balanced and the shaft and flange machined but I couldn't get the prop off.
How did you get the old prop off?
Heated it with a MAPP torch. It helped that it was about 35° that morning. Three whacks with a four pound sledge against an aluminum drift, so as not to damage the prop or shaft.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION