Teak Craftsmen???

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jmaue

Teak Craftsmen???

Post by jmaue »

My Cape Dory 28 "The Courage of James" is a 1978 100% original. This off season I will be making significant upgrades. In question and looking for feedback...I'm installing a main sail traveler in the location of the original swivel blocks. However, I need to get the track above the centrally located bronze cleat as well as the two cowl vents to appx 6". I intend to do this with a teak bridge. Does anyone have experience with a woodworker who can do custom work?
Jim Walsh

Re: Teak Craftsmen???

Post by Jim Walsh »

A traveler can be mounted to a riser as depicted here: https://www.garhauermarine.com/traveler ... -ur-4.html
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jmaue

Re: Teak Craftsmen???

Post by jmaue »

Thanks Jim. I knew of several methods to build height to a traveler system but not aware of what you shared. Knowing I'll spend more with a teak solution....I'm after a touch of beauty.
My thought is two profiled bases of teak on the extreme ends of the span. Each end to have a router profile to receive a 2" in width length of brass for strength and a crossing section of teak to cap it.
From here...mount the track and traveler system.
Ultimately...an elevated teak profile resting under the traveler.