CD27 Tiller Position

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

casampson

CD27 Tiller Position

Post by casampson »

I've been checking out some pictures of a nice CD 27 for sale, and I've noticed that the tiller seems to stretch quite far forward in the cockpit. Does this force the helmsman to sit forward of his or her guests in the cockpit? Is this in any way inconvenient? I currently own a CD 25, and the tiller is much further aft in the cockpit, so guests usually sit forward of the person working the tiller. This seems a more natural position to me, and the CD 27's arrangement looks a bit awkward.

Don't get me wrong, I love just about everything else about the 27 and am thinking about buying one. But I would appreciate comments from current or past CD 27 owners on this issue.

Thank you!

Chris
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: CD27 Tiller Position

Post by tjr818 »

I too was surprised when we first sailed Slainte, our 1981 27. Yes the tiller does get in the way for guests, three is about the max in the cockpit although we have done five. When single handing the length can com in handy, I could stand at the companion way with the tiller between my legs and tend the lines that we had run back to the cockpit. I really don't think the tiller needs to be that long, but then we ar inland sailors and have never had to deal with anything above 25kts.
I love the 27. You won't regret buying one.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

The tiller does on occasion get in the way with 4 people in the cockpit, but it is not a serious issue. The tiller also tilts up so it is easy to move around when necessary. As was pointed out, when single-handing, the tiller length is perfect. Can't say enough good things about my 27"
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

When I have extra people in KAYLA's cockpit, I lift the tiller and place a synthetic wine cork under top piece so the tiller height now clears most knees in the cockpit. We have frequently sailed very comfortably with five or six guests. Having someone that knows how to handle a sheet on each side helps a lot...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

On my 27 I can tighten the friction of the tiller yoke just enough so it will hold any position raised above knees. Generally 4 are a bit tight imho in the 27 cockpit. 3 fine for daysailing ... 2 indefinitely ... but it’s a seriously superior space for singlehanding where that long tiller is your friend. Very nice on my boat is the 4/1 Harken main and traveler rig with 1/2” sheets on both main and jib; so easy on the hands. It was installed by a PO to whom I’m every so thankful.

On lighter days if I want to sit to windward I’ll take a turn around the low side winch and then bring the jib sheet over to the windward winch. Then all is right at hand for a leg across the bay without having to budge an inch.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

I love my CD32 but I do miss my CD27 in a number of ways. Sitting forward to steer is the way it was designed. It's nice to be able to steer under the protection of a dodger when the weather turns wet.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2