Unique leak, where would you guess it's coming from? 79 CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

atcowboy

Unique leak, where would you guess it's coming from? 79 CD27

Post by atcowboy »

I have a drip forming above my radio in this picture. The radio is mounted on the starboard side of the boat on the interior liner under the starboard deck (by the PO). I don't think any of these holes or screws go into the bottom of the deck, let alone through it. The leak is coming out of some previous radio mounting holes, there are about 6 unused holes in the liner nearby.

Since I don't think where the leak is coming out is where the water is getting in; any guesses? Portlights letting water between the cabin top and the liner? Jib track?

I've never seen the leak before, but there were leaks everywhere I've been chasing down so now I'm finding the little bitty ones.

- AT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Unique leak, where would you guess it's coming from? 79

Post by John Stone »

These kinds leaks are tough to solve. Because there is a void between the underside of the deck and the top of the one piece fiberglass overhead liner (I'm experienced with the CD 36 construction so you'll have to interpret my comments as to how they relate to the CD 27) the water could be migrating from anywhere uphill of the cabin entry point.

Likely suspects:
- port light
- grab rails
- eyebrow trim
- any deck fittings

I'd start with the easy stuff and work towards the harder.

Good hunting.