A Simple Engine Instrument Panel Rain Shield

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

keneasley

A Simple Engine Instrument Panel Rain Shield

Post by keneasley »

Last season I had some problems with water getting into the engine instruments which caused an intermittent engine oil low pressure false alarm.

I thought about a making simple plexiglass hinged cover (I may make one next Winter).
For now I fabricated a very simple rain shield that has been very effective.
Engine_Control_Cover.JPG
Engine_Control_Cover.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 327 times
"Isinglass" for about $10 on ebay:
Clear Vinyl Marine Fabric 40 Gauge Isinglass (a 12" x 54" piece)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283348972402

Cut to fit and mark the attachment screws are with a sharpie.
Use a paper hole-punch to cut 4 screw holes in the Isinglass
Neoprene and stainless steel washers for the screws (from Home Depot)

An easy 10 minute project.
Just lift up the bottom to work the starter key.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
wikakaru

Re: A Simple Engine Instrument Panel Rain Shield

Post by wikakaru »

Nice, simple solution to the problem, Ken!

One possible alternative to a hinged cover for next year's permanent solution is a fixed cover with a hole for inserting the key, or one that covers the top 2/3 of the panel that allows you to access the key at the open bottom third. I've seen both of those methods used successfully. It depends on how the water is getting in that you are trying to protect the panel from. If it is just random splash, any of those solutions are likely to work. If it is running from the top down to the panel via surface tension, you may want to add a line of butyl tape or similar sealant around the top part of the cover to encourage any flowing water to find a different path.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
keneasley

Update Re: A Simple Engine Instrument Panel Rain Shield

Post by keneasley »

This year I updated the instrument panel cover.

First trying a hinged cover. For this I used clear 3M Very High Bond Tape to attach the hinges to the plexiglass and to the boat. This tape can work well as a permanent attachment for some above the water line uses.
But I wasn't happy with a hinged cover because the engine throttle lever got in the way and when the cover was opened it could be a hazard.
Engine_Control_Panel_hinged_cover_1.JPG
Engine_Control_Panel_hinged_cover_1.JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 214 times
So I cut a 2.5" diameter hole in the cover for access to the key and two small cuts in the lower corners for water egress should any water get in. And I cut a 3" diameter disk and attached it with a small bolt, some nylon washers, and a nylock nut. This to act as a door for key access. I saw this trick on a "Captain Q' video. The access hole works great except that I made it a bit small and so I added a "key wing turner" to the key to make the key easy to turn. If I redo this I will make the hole larger.
Engine_Control_Panel_sealed_cover_1.JPG
Engine_Control_Panel_sealed_cover_1.JPG (1.7 MiB) Viewed 214 times
Engine_Control_Panel_sealed_cover_2.JPG
Engine_Control_Panel_sealed_cover_2.JPG (1.72 MiB) Viewed 214 times
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut