Cape Dory 28 main sheet halyard.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sailingscotland

Cape Dory 28 main sheet halyard.

Post by Sailingscotland »

Lazy beaver at present has a main sheet halyard of wire, from the sail, spliced to rope . When the sail is fully up, the wire is down as far as the mast winch. This makes things difficult as the wire does not bend readily round the winch and slips. Is there any reason it has to be wire? Could the halyard be replaced entirely in rope?

Any thoughts?

Regards
Ian & Jan
Sailing Lazy Beaver
Cape Dory 28
csoule13

Re: Cape Dory 28 main sheet halyard.

Post by csoule13 »

Absolutely OK to replace with regular line. Did it on my dad's Ericson. I recently replaced my old crusty rope halyard with new line from Cajun ropes, would recommend. Great feel in the hand, and excellent coiling. I did 3/8th inch, wouldn't go smaller.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

csoule13,
Which line did you go with from Cajun?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

tjr818 wrote:csoule13,
Which line did you go with from Cajun?
I think it's the XLE, but I basically wrote and said "Need a halyard, this length, this color, this shackle". It's really, really nice in the hands. I replaced in right before putting the cover on for the winter, and when I bent on the main last week I was like "This line feels great and it coils so easily oh, that's right, it's brand new!" Jib halyard is in transit.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sailingscotland wrote:Lazy beaver at present has a main sheet halyard of wire, from the sail, spliced to rope . When the sail is fully up, the wire is down as far as the mast winch. This makes things difficult as the wire does not bend readily round the winch and slips. Is there any reason it has to be wire? Could the halyard be replaced entirely in rope?

Any thoughts?

Regards
Most have done away with wire to rope spliced halyards on this side of the pond. Any good double braid would be sufficient, such as Marlow or Premium Ropes, available in the U.K..
I haven’t used wire halyards since 1978. Double braid is relatively easy to splice yourself or you can just use a buntline hitch to tie directly to the headboard or headboard shackle. This also allows you to end-for-end your halyards to extend their useful life.
https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/buntline-hitch
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sailingscotland

Post by Sailingscotland »

All useful info. Thanks for all the replies. Btw, the new sails make a HUGE difference. Just need to mouse and measure before calling on the services of the local chandlers where my wife used to work. Hoping for ‘mates rates’ or maybe x staff discount :roll:

Regards
Ian & Jan
Sailing Lazy Beaver
Cape Dory 28
appletim1

Post by appletim1 »

Good stuff.