Auto tiller for CD 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jfa@umass.edu

Auto tiller for CD 25D

Post by jfa@umass.edu »

I would like to hear how autotillers work on a CD 25D?
Is the installation complicated?
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Re: Auto tiller for CD 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

1. ST2000 worked fine
2. No Prob with installation
3. Remember you only get about 15 degree deflection of the rudder
4. Must adjust sail and/or course so as to not over power
5. Most helpful when motoring.
6. Worth it, for sure, but it is NOT a wind vane self-steering gizmo
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Dave summed it up pretty well.

When my ST2000 was working, I primarily used it to keep the boat headed into the wind while raising or lowering sails, or when I was motoring. Mine has stopped working, and I think it's a problem with wiring, but I haven't solved the problem; probably grounding problem.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
ch.ocallaghan

Post by ch.ocallaghan »

I have a Raymarine ST1000+ Tiller Autopilot on my 25D. The installation was relatively straightforward.

To install, you need to:

1) drill a hole and install the power/data Connector on the side of the starboard locker
2) Run 12V power cable from switch in breaker panel to the 12V terminals on the Connector
3) drill a hole for the support pin in the top of the starboard locker
4) drill a hole and install connecting pin in the tiller

If you have a NMEA 0183-capable chartplotter (e.g. Standard Horizon CP190i) you can run another cable from the chartplotter to the NMEA 0183 terminals on the Connector. That will allow the chartplotter to drive the ST1000+ for automatic route following.

If you have a wireless ST1000+ remote control that uses SeaTalk (e.g AP-WRC3 - Madmanmarine.com) you can run another cable from the remote control to the SeaTalk terminals on the Connector. This will allow you to control the ST1000+ using a wireless dongle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMcC

Post by AMcC »

I have an ST1000+ that I use - I burned out the first one I had, though I don't know how old it was as it came with the boat - didn't quite have the tiller balanced as well as I could have (sails/course balanced to get a balanced tiller), so had to replace with new. It works fine, but yes, you have to balance the sails and it has a limited range - when it hits that range it just cycles over and over trying to push or pull the tiller further... hence the burnout.
I also use a 'tiller clutch' for shorter term hands-off work. I can't get that set to steer the boat for long periods of time, but it's enough to grab a sandwich or drink from the icebox or check the gps.
-Alec