Experience with pre-spliced anchor chain/rode?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

john_mendelson

Experience with pre-spliced anchor chain/rode?

Post by john_mendelson »

Looking at a few options for my CD25. Anyone have experience, good, bad or otherwise with the pre-spliced setups from WM or Defender?

Thanks,

John
Jim Walsh

Re: Experience with pre-spliced anchor chain/rode?

Post by Jim Walsh »

I have no experience with WM but Defender uses a local rigger whom I have met on a few occasions at their annual warehouse sale. He spliced some WR 2 for me a few years ago and did a great job while I watched. I normally do all of my own splicing but I would not hesitate to use their service again.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

john_mendelson wrote:Looking at a few options for my CD25. Anyone have experience, good, bad or otherwise with the pre-spliced setups from WM or Defender?

Thanks,

John
splicing is a fun worth while skill to have if your fingers are physically capable of doing it. A three braid anchor line is pretty easy. I would happily do it for anyone that asked me too. dee
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
atcowboy

Post by atcowboy »

Unfortunately I don't have the experience that you seek regarding the products.

But like Dee suggests, this is a very salty skill to have. I just bought new chain and rope to make new rhodes and was strongly considering prespliced. I chose to go with 8 plait for my main rhode to play nice with the windlass I hope one day to get. Since I've never spliced 8 plait before, I couldn't bring myself to buy that prespliced. If I cannot maintain it, it doesn't belong on my boat.

- AT
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

A CD25 is a small boat. You will be absolutely fine with pre-spliced. I will lay odds that 90% of boaters use pre-spliced anchor chain/rode. I do, and I have never had a problem. All those boaters can't all be wrong.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

I'm sure they are perfectly fine, but I prefer mine done differently:

Instead of a thimble and shackle between the nylon and the chain, I simply back-splice the nylon directly to the last link of chain. It is has been tested (edit: http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/upl ... e_Test.pdf and more discussion here https://www.practical-sailor.com/sails- ... plice-test) and found to be quite acceptable and offers the benefit of a nice smooth transition that will come over the bow roller easily and is comfortable in the hand.
Last edited by Tod Mills on Apr 22nd, '21, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
john_mendelson

Post by john_mendelson »

Thanks all.
atcowboy

Post by atcowboy »

I've since gotten my 8 plait rope and spliced it directly to my chain. I found it easier or at least as easy to splice than 3-strand and the first attempt came out sound and pretty.

- AT
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Congrats! Splicing is always a great skill to have.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Typically, the pre-spliced rodes will only include about 15” feet of chain or less. The chain should be not less than the length of the boat.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

To your point Kathy R&W Rope in NewBedford sells prespliced anchor rodes and you supply the shackle, chain, and swivel. They are top notch, but a bit more expensive than WM or Defender

https://rwrope.com/collections/presplic ... 9324363829

I’ve got two 3 strand prespliced nylon that came with my boat, and they seem just fine. 3/8 and 1/2. I use the 3/8 most of the time because it rides softer, and that’s what lives in the locker. If I ever got caught out in a blow I’d just deploy the heavier line. i carry a Fortress FX 11 and a 22 pound Rocna.

Recently bought two of these just to have handy for where ever.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-per ... ecordNum=8
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

A pre-spliced rode includes the chain. The line is spliced to the chain, there is no shackle. You will need a swivel to attach the chain to the anchor.

And yes, you can get anchor line with a pre-spliced eye around a thimble and yes you'll have to supply the rest -- chain, shackle and swivel. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this set up, so go for it.

We had our ground tackle set up that way for many years but found it difficult to get the shackle/thimble joint in and out through the hawse pipe on our CD32. Our primary ground tackle includes a 35 lb. CQR and our secondary ground tackle includes a Fortress.

When the rode for the CQR needed to be replaced, we went with a spliced line to chain joint. We had it done by the rigger at Defender during their March warehouse sale in 2018 and had them use 250' of 8-plait line with 50' of G4 Hi-Test chain. We went to the warehouse with a long list of items, which also included a new toilet.

Fair winds,
Cathy Monaghan
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay

fmueller wrote:To your point Kathy R&W Rope in NewBedford sells prespliced anchor rodes and you supply the shackle, chain, and swivel. They are top notch, but a bit more expensive than WM or Defender

https://rwrope.com/collections/presplic ... 9324363829

I’ve got two 3 strand prespliced nylon that came with my boat, and they seem just fine. 3/8 and 1/2. I use the 3/8 most of the time because it rides softer, and that’s what lives in the locker. If I ever got caught out in a blow I’d just deploy the heavier line. i carry a Fortress FX 11 and a 22 pound Rocna.

Recently bought two of these just to have handy for where ever.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-per ... ecordNum=8
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

I know how to splice 3 strand eye splice, albeit pretty rusty at this point. Nonetheless, I saw where there’s a way to splice directly to the chain, it appeared to involve runnng several feet of line with n the links of chain. I don’t know the process thougj
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

gates_cliff wrote:I know how to splice 3 strand eye splice, albeit pretty rusty at this point. Nonetheless, I saw where there’s a way to splice directly to the chain, it appeared to involve runnng several feet of line with n the links of chain. I don’t know the process thougj
Here's a you tube video on 3 strand to chain splicing...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Thanks
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide