Spartan Marine Hinge Trouble

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Spartan Marine Hinge Trouble

Post by John Stone »

When I built the propane locker in the aft cockpit/lazarette of the Far Reach I purchased two Spartan Marine bronze scalloped hinges so they would match the rest of the cockpit hinges. I had to mount them with the wide section forward to make it all work. They worked great and over five years turned a beautiful blue green. But about 10 days ago I noticed one of the hinges was frozen. I removed it and took it home. It would not fold at all. I sprayed it with PE Blaster. I soaked it in mineral spirits for two days. Put some heat in it. Then, finally, I clamped it in my bench top vice and tapped it with my mallet. Got it to fold maybe 20° and no more.

All the other hinges have been on the boat 39 years with nary a problem. So I called Spartan Marine and talked to Jon. We chatted about it. He said what I was thinking—“They should last a life time. I’ll mail you a new one. Send me the old one.” No shipping charge. No waiting to look at the old hinge first. It arrived in the mail a few days later. I polished up the old one so they would look about the same and go green together.

I reinstalled them today. There are no nuts on these hinges as it would interfere with the gutter I built for the new locker hatch system. I retapped a couple holes damaged by the frozen hinge. Then I bedded them in 3M 4000. I have always had a great experience with Spartan Marine. They have earned my loyalty. I always encourage sailors, especially CD owners, to buy from Spartan Marine when ever possible. We need to help keep them in business. Derecktor owns them now. Big company like that could give them the ax in a millisecond if they saw them as a fiscal liability.

Anyway, thanks Spartan Marine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
appletim1

Re: Spartan Marine Hinge Trouble

Post by appletim1 »

Great post. Thank you!
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I didn't want to spend the $50 so when one of mine was froze up and the pin was broken. I bore the pin out and replaced it with a piece of brazing rod. It seems like it will last for a while. I found out they use SS pins. I might try that next time.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

JD-MDR wrote:I didn't want to spend the $50 so when one of mine was froze up and the pin was broken. I bore the pin out and replaced it with a piece of brazing rod. It seems like it will last for a while. I found out they use SS pins. I might try that next time.
Mine had bronze pins. I tried punching it out but the metal was soft and frozen tight and would not budge. It was weird how one was loose and worked perfectly and the other froze solid. But, the take away is Spartan Marine stood by them, no questions asked.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

While you're at it, lubricate all the rest.

- Cathy
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay