Want to Buy CD 36

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Kailua Kid

Want to Buy CD 36

Post by Kailua Kid »

Actively looking for a CD 36, late 1985 or newer, or a Robinhood 36. Looking for the best CD 36 or Robinhood 36 for our long-term cruising needs, not for the best “deal.” Any and all leads appreciated, regardless of location. Mahalo!
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Re: Want to Buy CD 36

Post by Evergreen »

Hello & welcome Kailua Kid:

Interesting coincidence because Mahalo is the name of a CD36 in this association.

Good luck in your search.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Kailua Kid

Post by Kailua Kid »

Thank you! I have seen photos of EVERGREEN. What a beautiful and well-maintained vessel!
sanderling

Post by sanderling »

Money no object ? (lol).......go for the CD 45 Fiona Rois for sale on yachtworld!

Wish I could!

That Robinhood 36 "Heron" in Essex, CT looks interesting also.
Mike
S/V Sanderling
CD 33 Sloop
Kailua Kid

Post by Kailua Kid »

Thank you for the tip. I will check out the HERON. Edit: Just went back to the advert for HERON and now see why we passed on her: She has an interior layout that does not include the standard quarterberth. We prefer the layout with the quarterberth. From the adverts we have seen so far, HERON is the only 36 that does not have the starboard quarterberth arrangement. Otherwise, she checks most of the boxes.
Kailua Kid

Post by Kailua Kid »

What month in a typical year do Cape Dory's start to come on the market?
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

There is one for sale in Deltaville, Virginia
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Kailua Kid

Post by Kailua Kid »

Thank you for the response. Can you tell me where it is listed?
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Kailua Kid wrote:Thank you for the response. Can you tell me where it is listed?
upon closer inspection, "Dream Catcher" was sold.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Kailua Kid

Post by Kailua Kid »

Ah; that explains it. Thank you for letting me know.
Kailua Kid

Post by Kailua Kid »

Update on this post: I now have a 1987 (although from the hull identification number it seems like it should be a 1988) CD 36 under contract, likely to close in the next two weeks. Very excited. The boat is equipped with a watermaker, Monitor windvane, trysail on its own dedicated track, storm jib, radar, etc. -- almost exactly how I had planned to set up such a boat. Once the deal closes, I will add her to the registry. Hallelujah!
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Congratulations and good luck! Keep in touch. You will find this Board to be a community of dedicated sailors with a wealth of knowledge and a willingness to share that knowledge in a respectful way.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Kailua Kid

Post by Kailua Kid »

Deal closed and CD 36 Hull Number 153 now home, safe and sound. Very pleased with how she sailed down from Port Angeles, WA to Port Madison, WA. Beginning the process of adding solar panels, charge controller, etc. in preparation for cruising long term. She is the ETHEL THOMAS, ex EGRET, formerly home-ported in San Francisco Bay area, then last five or six years in Port Angeles on the boisterous Strait of Juan de Fuca. Original owners were in New York, according to the Abstract at NVDC. We have added a Paratech parachute anchor, and a SARCA Excel 47 lb. primary anchor on all chain, so far. Have folding mast steps to install. Considering a drifter or Code Zero, in addition to the symmetrical chute that came with the boat. Last night I found a Mexican coin in the bilge - a little corroboration of the oral history. She has a water maker, radar on its own mast, Maxwell 800 windless, etc. Do we seem excited? You bet! Any and all suggestions for next steps in setting her up for bluewater passage making/ seasonal live aboard welcomed.