Small Jib

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

casampson

Small Jib

Post by casampson »

I have a 100% hank on jib for my CD 25. Sometimes, when the wind is over 20mph, which it frequently is on Buzzards Bay, I'd like to have something smaller to match my reefed main. Also, with my regular jib, I sometimes find myself going a little too fast in the harbor on my return to the mooring if I don't douse it first -- and in those conditions I usually prefer to stay in the cockpit rather than go up to the bow.

I know what 99% of you are thinking: get a roller furling jib. I might. But I like to keep things simple, and for now I just want to explore my options. So my question is, what size would work best? I have contacted my sail loft about this question, but would also like your opinion in the meantime.

Thank you!

Chris
Frenchy

Re: Small Jib

Post by Frenchy »

Chris, you could try a jib downhaul to see if that might work. Hopefully, the dropped sail would behave, not get washed
partly overboard. You would need to go to the mast to release the halyard, so your downhaul line could lead somewhere
nearby. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

With a club footed staysail, it is pretty easy to reef. Without the jib boom, you would have to move the sheets to the new cringle. That would still be much easier than changing sails. It would also be cheaper to have a reef sewn into your exiting sail than buying another one, with no need to store the extra bag.

Just a thought, Steve.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

If you are reticent to hit the foredeck in a 20 knot wind, and you want to be able to incrementally adjust your speed by reducing your headsail area (preferably from the cockpit) you are the definition of someone who would benefit from a furling headsail.
Just my humble opinion from someone who has both a furling staysail and a furling yankee. :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

On my CD28, I have a jib boom. So I had the loft add a reef point to the jib. In my case, the intent was to deal with heavy weather and to be used to balance a double reefed main, so the reef is deep and turns it into an oversized storm jib, but I don't see why you couldn't just pick a point to turn it into a 85 or 75 or whatever you think optimal. I had to add a cleat to the boom but it was easy and works ok. The downside as others have noted, is that when you need to set it, you are up on the bow which can be unpleasant and wet. Mostly, I've set it in the anchorage when I can see things are going to get wild across Windy Lane, then I just hoist it normally with the reef already tucked in. Taking it out as conditions moderate is easy.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

I sail my 25D on Buzzards Bay.

Usually I use my 135 roller-furling genoa. I start by reefing my mainsail.
Then I furl my genny, going as far down as 100-110 percent.

If the wind is really strong, I might leave the mooring with my working jim, which has been converted to roller-furling. The smaller headsail uses a track on the coach roof, and the sheets must be run outside the first shroud and inside the others.

I would suggest starting out with a reefed main.

Like Jim, I'd suggest you invest in a roller-furling system. I use a Harken, but many are available. A sailmaker can convert your hank-on jim to roller furling at a minimal cost.

Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

casampson wrote:I have a 100% hank on jib for my CD 25. Sometimes, when the wind is over 20mph, which it frequently is on Buzzards Bay, I'd like to have something smaller to match my reefed main. Also, with my regular jib, I sometimes find myself going a little too fast in the harbor on my return to the mooring if I don't douse it first -- and in those conditions I usually prefer to stay in the cockpit rather than go up to the bow.

I know what 99% of you are thinking: get a roller furling jib. I might. But I like to keep things simple, and for now I just want to explore my options. So my question is, what size would work best? I have contacted my sail loft about this question, but would also like your opinion in the meantime.

Thank you!

Chris
Chris, I’d suggest a reefing jib. Simple, traditional, effective.

I have a reefing jib on the Far Reach. And while the bonnet is attached with a zipper, it’s only because it is so big at 400 SF. But my stays’l has two traditional eefs in it. Works great. The sail maker can angle the reefs and position the second clew so the sheet leads don’t change.

Yes, you have to tie the reef in. But it’s a great feeling to do something so timeless.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Jim Walsh wrote:If you are reticent to hit the foredeck in a 20 knot wind, and you want to be able to incrementally adjust your speed by reducing your headsail area (preferably from the cockpit) you are the definition of someone who would benefit from a furling headsail.
Just my humble opinion from someone who has both a furling staysail and a furling yankee. :D
I agree with Jim, is this instance the furling head sail is the simplest solution.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
casampson

Post by casampson »

Thank you everybody! Jean, I am going to try setting up a jib downhaul this year. I'll let you know how I make out. Steve and John, I'm with you and plan to have some reefing points incorporated into my working jib over the winter. Sounds like the best solution overall. I like simplicity and have no intentions of installing a roller furling jib this year, although I appreciate the sentiments of those who are in favor of it.

Thanks again for your thoughtful responses.

Chris
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Good luck with the downhaul, Chris. I was thinking you might rig up some netting to corral the downed jib. The lifelines
on the 25 attach low on the bow pulpit, as I remember, so you might rig lines high on the bowsprit back to the
stanchions and add the netting to that. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

casampson wrote:Thank you everybody! Jean, I am going to try setting up a jib downhaul this year. I'll let you know how I make out. Steve and John, I'm with you and plan to have some reefing points incorporated into my working jib over the winter. Sounds like the best solution overall. I like simplicity and have no intentions of installing a roller furling jib this year, although I appreciate the sentiments of those who are in favor of it.

Thanks again for your thoughtful responses.

Chris
Chris, A jib downhaul is a very helpful addition to sail handling. I can’t imagine sailing without one, especially shorthanded. Over the years, I have refined the one I use on the FR. There might be some ideas here useful to you. https://farreachvoyages.net/2017/12/02/ ... ul-system/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
casampson

Post by casampson »

Jean -- Not sure how I'll rig up the downhaul, but I appreciate the advice.

John -- enjoyed the post on your downhaul system. Jim Reineck is well known in my area, it being the home of many Herreshoff boats in need of his services. I have had the pleasure of his company on several occasions and he is, indeed, a very nice person. His work in bronze is impeccable.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

If I hadn’t sold my Typhoon last summer I probably would have added a furling head sail. I too was trying to keep it simple and did rig a down haul. All that is needed is to add a small block near the tack of the jib and a path to run it to the cockpit. The line can be pretty light. It worked OK but the fore deck could still be pretty cluttered. Both sheets needed to be kept tight to keep the jib from falling over board. The ability to reef the jib would have made it easier to tack up to the mooring.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

can't imagine having a staysail on a 25 foot boat .. but having a cutter rig allows you go with the small sail when the wind pipes up or you just want to poke .. leaving the working jib furled or stowed. guess you would still need to douse the jib if you were flying both headsails.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I was really happy with the down haul I made for my CD25.
It kept me off the fore deck which helped for a few reasons. With the outboard it was really tough to point directly into the wind, especially with 6 or 8 year old at the tiller (I had no autopilot). The fore deck in the CD25 bounces a lot more than my CD30! Also it really contained the sail so no more sheets or cloth in the water. And, headed into Salem harbor, the wind was usually a bit abeam so the ability to just pack it down was very valuable.
I know I put a link to some photos here in 2009 of what I did. It was pretty cheap maybe $40 and it worked quite well.
Jeff