Speaking of Flybridges ...

Discussions about Cape Dory powerboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bilofsky
Location: CD 30 Flybridge "Golden Phoenix" on San Francisco Bay

Speaking of Flybridges ...

Post by bilofsky »

Mitchell's question got me thinking about what goes through the flybridge deck. This might be worth sharing.

Long ago I put two holes through the flybridge deck inside the helm enclosure, and glassed short pieces of PVC pipe in them.

One is for ventilation, and goes through the headliner. There's a vent and a cover on the salon side, and a bilge blower on the top end, wired to a reversing switch at the lower helm. When it's choppy and the windows are closed, the vent can blow cool air into the skipper's face. It reverses as an exhaust fan when windows are open.

The other pipe is an alternate routing for wiring, connecting the helm enclosure to the salon overhead, inside the headliner. The original starboard aft route for all flybridge wiring and controls was hard to fish wires through even before it got jammed full. Everything I added after that runs above the headliner and into the enclosure. Easy peasy.