Convert a Yamaha F4SMHA outboard to remote shift/throttle

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

christhemacguy

Convert a Yamaha F4SMHA outboard to remote shift/throttle

Post by christhemacguy »

Hi all,
Newbie here. My newly acquired Typhoon came with a Yamaha F4SMHA outboard. It appears a bit ungainly as well as dangerous to sit on the transom to control the engine while steering with the tiller.
So, I am researching kits to allow me to remove the tiller arm from Yamaha and add a remote control kit of some sort. Closest I have seen is for the Tohatsu 8hp.
Hoping someone here has done it and has a few tips.
Chris
radsailor

Re: Convert a Yamaha F4SMHA outboard to remote shift/throttl

Post by radsailor »

It took me a little while to get used to using the outboard on my Typhoon, but now that I have the hang of it, it's fine. You can definitely make very sharp turns using the tiller and the motor. When coming into the slip I "feather" (my term) the throttle to just keep headway so I can jump off onto the dock while holding a shroud.
I read somewhere that someone fitted a pipe extension onto the throttle/tiller arm of his outboard so he could control speed and direction from further forward.
Last edited by radsailor on Feb 1st, '21, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

christhemacguy wrote: add a remote control kit of some sort. Closest I have seen is for the Tohatsu 8hp.
Chris
Chris, That's really a bit over-kill for a Typhoon. You really just want it stay centered until you need extra turn control and that should be done at idle speed. With practice you should be able to approach your slip/mooring, cut power and coast in...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

Search outboard motor extension handle.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
n5ama

Post by n5ama »

Chris, I’m doing the same with a Catalina 25 and it’s Toshiba 10hp OB.The problem wasn’t the steering as much as throttle control and forward/reverse control. The Tohatsu is located down low and although the throddle is marginally reachable, the shifting lever is much less so. When trying to look around the cabin when headed for the dock or slip, its plain dangerous to take your eyes off the slip, reach down and try to find the shift lever, not to mention actually shifting. Add a bit of breeze to the equation and I feel your pain.

I found a kit for the Toshiba that made the conversion from tiller to lever control. There is a fair number of parts. I also bought the lever assembly control to mount in the cockpit. It also has a harness to wire a starter switch to the shift and throddle control. This comes in real handy when the motor dies in the middle of a docking maneuver. Don’t ask me how I know.

A number of these outboards are very similar and some cases made by the same maker. A little research might open other makes that are the same and give you additional options.

I haven’t pulled theOB yet to install the kit but will do it soon so I can put that boat on the market in time for the spring boat frenzy.
christhemacguy

Post by christhemacguy »

Thanks for the responses.

My concern are:
A. I am not as spry as I once was.
B. doing the "Rosemary reach" to advance the throttle/shift and steering via tiller in a current docking is not always "safe."
C. Safety is no accident

Possible I just need an extension for the throttle and shifter.

Not sure what is out there.

And I may be overthinking this.

Chris