4hp 4stroke mercury outboard very difficult to start

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

radsailor

4hp 4stroke mercury outboard very difficult to start

Post by radsailor »

Living in the Southern end of the Chesapeake, I sail all winter if the temp is in the 40's or higher. Have a 4hp 4 stroke mercury outboard that is just a few years old.
The last three times I went out, it took about 30 minutes of repeat pulling of the starter cord to get it to start. It actually does start with each pull, but dies after a couple of seconds. When it finally starts for real, it runs fine. I just had it serviced. Mechanic says it is because of the cold weather, but when I lived in Massachusetts, I had a 4 stroke snowblower that started without difficulty in far colder weather.
Any insights and suggestions appreciated
mgphl52

Re: 4hp 4stroke mercury outboard very difficult to start

Post by mgphl52 »

a) Do you always shut off the fuel supply and run the carb dry at the end of your sail?
b) Are you careful to only buy NON-ethanol fuel?
c) Do you carefully follow the starting guide & choke use?

Lastly, try adding a water-removing additive. Just a tiny bit of water/condensation can also cause those problems.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

I do add a fuel treatment additive to the fuel tank. Ethanol free fuel is not available nearby. This was not a problem until recently.
I do follow the starting instructions. Strangely, the engine starts on the first pull, but dies almost immediately. This goes on for about 20-30 minutes.
I have not been running the engine dry. Was not an issue in the warmer months, but I will give it a try.
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

We had a Merc. 5 hp 4stroke. By putting an additive in each tank and running it dry after use( takes longer then you would think) we never had a problem. We couldn't get ethanol free gas either.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Ethanol free fuel is available in most any local hardware store or lawn equipment dealer or the “big box” places such as Lowe’s and Home Depot. It’s expensive but I feel it’s worth the cost and it’s all I burn in my dinghy outboard and my Honda generator. For the amount of fuel I burn per season it’s a minor outlay to have small engines which never have starting issues or a gummed up carburetor to strip down.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

I was not aware that this was available in hardware stores. A little pricey, but I only use the engine to get in and out of the marina/small harbor and to save the aggravation, sounds well worth the money. Plus no need to buy additives.

Thank you
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

You might be aware already but you can check www.pure-gas.org. I was able to find a Sunoco station, marina and airport in my area that sell ethanol-free gas. More expensive than regular but cheaper than the hardware store gas.

Tom
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

I was not aware of this website. Thanks.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

radsailor wrote:I was not aware of this website. Thanks.
The vast majority of the “gas stations” listed on that site are not selling ethanol free gas at a pump, they are selling the same stuff found in home centers and lawn equipment/farm equipment dealers in quart and gallon cans.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Typhoon4Fun

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

Jim Walsh wrote: The vast majority of the “gas stations” listed on that site are not selling ethanol free gas at a pump, they are selling the same stuff found in home centers and lawn equipment/farm equipment dealers in quart and gallon cans.
Like I said I have found a couple different options for ethanol-free gas at a pump in the areas I frequent in ME and VT. Probably just depends on your area.
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

There is an ACE hardware 2 minutes from me. If this ethanol free stuff works, it will be well worth it.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

You might also want to check your fuel filter and/or fuel line for blockage.
I feel very lucky to have multiple stations around NW Florida with "real" gas for my Harley.
Since it requires 91+ octane, I usually get fuel with NO ethanol or at least very little.
(just edited to insert the missing "no"... :roll: )
Last edited by mgphl52 on Jan 29th, '21, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

mechanic just did complete service and said it runs great so I assume he checked the fuel system. He said it was the cold weather that was the problem.
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Airfields sell alcohol free fuel. Also all gas stations in South Dakota have pumps sans alcohol in the gas....interesting since much if the added alcohol is distilled from corn within sight of some of the gas stations.

Had a motor that did the same thing as yours.....found an obstruction just below the needle valve.

V/r

Pete
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

I went online and Ace Hardware had 5gallon jugs of ethanol free 4 stroke gasoline. When I went to the store they only had one small bottle. Went online to Lowe's and they did not have 5 gallon jugs for 4 stroke engines. I think I can ask them to order it. I have two 3gallon tanks. One is completely empty and the other almost full with gas/ethanol. Do you think adding the ethanol free gas will help at all or should I just drain it out and start fresh ?