Orion’s “new” hatch boards

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Orion’s “new” hatch boards

Post by Jim Walsh »

My hatch boards were not refinished when I stripped and refinished my exterior teak last fall with Cetol Marine Light. After seeing how great Steve Laume’s hatch boards look with real varnish I wanted to treat Orion to some jewelry.
I took the hatch boards home where I could do a proper job stripping the old Cetol off with a heat gun and lightly sanded them. Now they were ready to be treated to multiple coats of Epifanes high gloss clear varnish. I’ve lightly sanded between the five coats applied so far. I’ve still got a way to go but I brought them down to Orion just to see how they looked in place.
Attachments
There is a slight green tint due to the light filtering through the green canvas winter cover in both photos.
There is a slight green tint due to the light filtering through the green canvas winter cover in both photos.
39707664-3F1E-4DFA-8221-C3B4D501CBD3.jpeg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 759 times
AFBC3B86-0C37-4723-8509-377F2D0F69BC.jpeg
AFBC3B86-0C37-4723-8509-377F2D0F69BC.jpeg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 759 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
fmueller

Re: Orion’s “new” hatch boards

Post by fmueller »

nice Jim ... I'm thinking of getting a middle drop in some kind of plexiglass so I can close up but still se out ...
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

fmueller wrote:nice Jim ... I'm thinking of getting a middle drop in some kind of plexiglass so I can close up but still se out ...
A fixed portlight might be a nice addition in this circumstance.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

They are pretty, I am hoping to make new ones this year but don't know whether I'll get to it. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Very nice. After about ten more coats, over a few years, they will look fabulous. Now you need a fleece bag to store them in so there is no chance of scratching that beautiful finish when you find yourself being tossed around on your next Bermuda trip, Steve.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Beautiful. Nothing like real varnish.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Very nice! I did CC's a couple seasons ago, also with Epifanes and they always make me happy when I come on board.
Jeff
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

i was wondering where to put that inclinameter. I don't really understand why I need one. If I'm uncomfortable I always ease off
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

JD-MDR wrote:i was wondering where to put that inclinameter. I don't really understand why I need one. If I'm uncomfortable I always ease off
True. I just have it to amuse myself. When I’m heavily laden for a long trip it comes in handy to ensure I’m sitting on an even keel. Easy enough to rearrange your stores while sitting in the slip or at anchor.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

JD-MDR wrote:i was wondering where to put that inclinameter. I don't really understand why I need one. If I'm uncomfortable I always ease off
Mine is mounted up high above my depth gauge.

The only time I really paid attention to it is when I had some friends aboard. Nice couple a little older than me. I warned them that we would be likely to get a gust of wind as we cleared the point that tends to funnel and briefly intensify the wind strength. Well, it did indeed and heeled up over to 15 degrees at which point the woman immediately started screaming! I mean really loud screaming. We hit a couple of more puffs during the day and every time we reached 15 degrees she would do the scream again. I would say she was accurate within a couple of degrees. Towards the end of the day she would not go off until we hit 20 degrees and by that time I was ready to dump her over the side and she had sworn to never sail again. There was no chance of another invite anyway.

This must be why I sail solo almost all of the time, Steve.
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

Ditto
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Beautiful job on the hatch boards, Jim. I'm a Cetol guy too but have to admit those are stunning. We'll see -
if I have time, mine will get the similar treatment. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

ghockaday wrote:They are pretty, I am hoping to make new ones this year but don't know whether I'll get to it. Dennis
I'm gettin around to it. Not sure if they will be anywhere near as pretty as Orion's. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
jmaue

Post by jmaue »

Sharp! What kind of wood species?
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

jmaue wrote:Sharp! What kind of wood species?
Teak. Cape Dory was generous in their use of teak. I believe their production years preceded plantation teak.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION