Volvo MD7A CD 28 question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bethbrownebooks

Volvo MD7A CD 28 question

Post by Bethbrownebooks »

Hey everyone!

I have been having trouble with my engine shut-off toggle not working and I was just watching Sam Holmes (his boat has a Yanmar?) and it occurred to me that maybe the cable is not my problem.

Does the shut-off lever on the engine have a spring?! Is it meant to pull itself back into the run position? If so, where can I get a new spring and can anyone coach me through replacement?!

TIA!
mgphl52

Re: Volvo MD7A CD 28 question

Post by mgphl52 »

Mine does not, I push the shut off back once the engine stops.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Can you manually push the lever all the way back and it shut down. If so it sounds like the linkage needs adjusting. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Keith

Post by Keith »

I added a spring to mine and it works great.
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

The way mine works is that it's attached to the throttle lever on the engine and there's a spring on the throttle cable that pushes the lever back to the run position when you've released the handle in the cockpit. I don't know if your setup is the same since mine is an MD2B which is a very similar but older engine. Just go easy with the cable-I couldn't get a direct replacement when mine broke and got into a world of pain trying to replace it. Went through two replacement cables and several custom fabricated brackets and I'm still not entirely happy with it, but it works...
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
Bethbrownebooks

Thanks everyone!

Just posted a lengthy reply and got error message. I am not getting notifications on this thread either. Finding this interface very awkward on the phone.

Appreciate all the help! Would love to know where the new spring came from!

Thanks!

Beth
Keith

Post by Keith »

Bethbrownebooks wrote:Thanks everyone!

Just posted a lengthy reply and got error message. I am not getting notifications on this thread either. Finding this interface very awkward on the phone.

Appreciate all the help! Would love to know where the new spring came from!

Thanks!

Beth

I just went to the local hardware store and bought a small SS coil spring. I think that it is about 1/4 " diameter and 4-5" long. I'll take a picture next time I go over to the boat yard in the next few days.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Here are 2 pics of the engine stop return spring.
Note:
1. In the previous post I said the spring was SS. It is not, it is carbon steel. It's been there for 8 years and still looks and works fine.
2. The throttle cable is removed as I am in the process of replacing it.
3. The exhaust manifold is removed for derusting as it is raw water cooled and I clean/derust it and the thermostat housing every few years. It keeps the 41 year old engine running cool.
Engine stop return spring.jpg
Engine stop return spring1.jpg
Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bethbrownebooks

This is so helpful!! Thank you Keith!!
Keith

Post by Keith »

No problem Beth that's the beauty of this site. Whatever issue you are having most likely someone else has had the same problem and came up with a solution.

PS I replied to your PM last month about the bow sprit replacement but never heard back from you. Are you still looking for help?

Keith