Fuel shut-off failure

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bethbrownebooks

Fuel shut-off failure

Post by Bethbrownebooks »

Hi everyone,

So, my last two boats had outboards and my first was too long ago to remember. I know you have to cut the fuel to shut off the engine, right? (CD28, Volvo MD7A)

The little toggle you pull to do this is not pulling out or in but maybe 1/8". It's stuck out about an inch. What do I do?! Help!

TIA,

Beth
mgphl52

Re: Fuel shut-off failure

Post by mgphl52 »

Sounds like the cable is froze. It is possible to override the cable at the engine, but not very convenient!
You might find something amiss at the actual cutoff valve, but my first guess is the cable.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

Air and fuel are all a diesel needs to run. If you can't shut the fuel off can you kill the air intake? Don't use your hand!!
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
Keith

Post by Keith »

I'm betting on the cable as well. Try moving the fuel shut off lever manually. It is on top of the high pressure pump near the throttle cable/lever.

If you try cutting off the air you have to remove the air cleaner and cover the intake inlet. If you block the intake on the air cleaner it will still get air from the vent line that goes into the valve cover.

Good Luck

Keith
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Yeah, it's likely the cable. You might free it up by removing and hanging it up, then taping a plastic bag
with the corner snipped off to the cable. Put some light oil in the bag and hopefully it will run down
between the cable and jacket. Work the cable up and down to distribute the oil.
If that doesn't work, buy a new cable. Good luck - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Bethbrownebooks

Re: Fuel shut-off failure UPDATE

I had someone pull the toggle in the cockpit while I watched the lever on the engine and it did move, but only slightly. Is it possible it just needs adjustment? Appreciate suggestions on how to go about it!!
mgphl52

Re: Fuel shut-off failure UPDATE

Post by mgphl52 »

Bethbrownebooks wrote:I had someone pull the toggle in the cockpit while I watched the lever on the engine and it did move, but only slightly. Is it possible it just needs adjustment? Appreciate suggestions on how to go about it!!
That is very possible! What I would suggest is to loosen the cable attachment at the fuel shut off on the engine. Then have some one push and pull the shut off in the cockpit. When you have a good idea of the actual movement, tighten up the engine side shut off with the cockpit shut off pulled out. Now see if it works... If not, it could be that the cable housing isn't properly secured at the cockpit shut off.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Bethbrownebooks

Thank you! I will try to adjust it next time I have someone aboard!