Volvo engine touch up painting

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

S/V Ethan Grey

Volvo engine touch up painting

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

My engine is slowly morphing into a pit of iron oxide. To slow this down in the hopes of getting another 40 years of use, I’d like to touch up the exterior paint. Having never painted an engine, I am hoping for a little advice. What I’m thinking is that I’ll use Ospho & naval jelly for those rusty spots and then paint with Ford Green DE1617 engine block paint from NAPA, unless I can find reasonably priced Volvo green paint. I may swap the Ospho for the Klean-strip concrete and metal prep (appears the same as Ospho in the MSDS) to save a few bucks as well.

Any one else touch up their engines and have any additional advice?
Any one find a paint that closely matches Volvo green?

Thanks in advance. -david
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
Frenchy

Re: Volvo engine touch up painting

Post by Frenchy »

I painted my old Universal 5424 (now in a scrap yard somewhere) back in 2012. The
engine was removed and hung from a chain fall in the main salon. It was sanded and power
wire brushed, then a coat of ospho was applied, then spray primer and spray paint. I don't
like chemical strippers. They're messy. For the wire brushes, I used the encapsulated
type- solid end, 3/4" diameter and the wheel type- 3" diameter. These work much better
than conventional brushes and last longer.
The worst part of the engine was the oil pan. It was heavily rusted and I gambled
that it wouldn't just crumble.
When the engine was being removed, I noted that the starboard rear engine mount stud
was broken. I've heard this is not uncommon. If the prop gets wrapped up in something, torque
will tend to lift the starboard side of the engine and break the mount.
The motor gave good service until the spring of 2019, when it seized for no apparent reason.
Good luck on your renovation! - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I paint Raven's engine periodically. I clean it up the best I can, mask off a few things and give it a good spray.

I had it out of the boat to have the transmission rebuilt a few years back. I had recently seen an identical engine on the floor or the mechanic's shop at our marina. I asked about it and was told that the oil pan had rusted through. I went right down to my Kabota tractor dealer and bought a brand new pan for $75 and the gasket for $15. Universal wanted $240 and $75, crazy money for the same thing.

My point is not to stress too much about painting the engine as you can and should do it every so often. If you ever have reason to take it out, replace the oil pan as it is hard to paint in place and may be suspect, Steve.
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

I painted my Yanmar YSB 8 in place. Removed a few easy to remove items ( belt guard, water pump, air intake pipe) to spray at home. Covered hoses and cables and other items not to be painted with tin foil, easy to apply and mold to shape. Blocked off engine compartment walls with cardboard and tape. Sprayed with official Yanmar rattle can paint. Came out pretty good.

Amazon has several Volvo colors. Some of them are expensive, like $ 30 a can.

Have fun.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Walter Hobbs wrote:Amazon has several Volvo colors. Some of them are expensive, like $ 30 a can.
"Marine" colors are bad enough. "Volvo" colors are worse!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Walter Hobbs wrote: ... Amazon has several Volvo colors. Some of them are expensive, like $ 30 a can ...
Tell me about it. I bought a can of "Official Volvo Green," a very small aerosol can, years ago. I'm still making installment payments.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

We have a newish (2017) Beta Marine 25 on our CD 31. It's getting a few spots of chipped paint and some rust under the engine zinc (it leaked from the factory until we learned to use a bit of thread sealant). We called the distributor and he advised using Rustoleum Sunset Red, as being equal to the factory paint. Seems to work fine and stays on. We don't spray, just touch up with a brush after wire brushing and degreasing.

So, you may be able to find or custom mix a rustoleumm color that will match your present engine color.

Good advice from Steve L. on replacing the oil pan. We hope to not have to pull the engine for many years, but you never know. Betas also use Kubota blocks which guarantee reasonable prices for all the main engine components made by Kubota.

Those of you still in the water, enjoy the glorious fall sailing now that the hurricanes have quieted down.

Stay healthy, all of you

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

jen1722terry wrote:... now that the hurricanes have quieted down.
Shhh... don't type that too loud, it might encourage them :!:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

jen1722terry wrote:We have a newish (2017) Beta Marine 25 on our CD 31. It's getting a few spots of chipped paint and some rust under the engine zinc (it leaked from the factory until we learned to use a bit of thread sealant).
Sorry, a bit off topic, but won't putting thread sealant on an engine zinc electrically insulate it from the engine block and cause it not to protect the engine properly?

--Jim