CD-25 Spreader Bar height

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Scott B.

CD-25 Spreader Bar height

Post by Scott B. »

I have not messaged here for some time. I need to do some maintenance on my spreader bars. Does anyone know the dimension from the mast base to the spreader bars for my CD-25? The Technical Information in my CD Owner's Manual (I believe copies are contained in this CD website) gives dimensions for "I' and "P' of 27' 7" and 24' respectively but I can't find a definition of these dimensions. They are shown on CD-25 Sail Plans, but I can't tell if these are mast heights, but referenced from where. Anyone's help is appreciated.
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Re: CD-25 Spreader Bar height

Post by Terry »

Do you need precise measurement? Or are you thinking about a ladder to reach the spreaders?

I used an aluminum extension ladder. Each section is only eight feet. So max extended is about fifteen feet. It worked, though I don't recall how much above spreaders it went. I secured it with rope around base of the ladder and the mast. Worked good.

Regards. . .
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Thank you for the reply. Interesting. Was the ladder flat against the mast. If it was, how did you secure the ladder near the top before scaling it. Or did you scale the ladder, holding the mast all the way, then tie the ladder at the top? However, this will work to inspect the spreader connection at the mast. I won't be able to stretch far enough to reach the spreader boots at the end.

My reason for researching the height of the spreader bars is to find the right dock here in Casco Bay Maine that I can tie up to (with owners permission) and service the spreaders. With a typical 9 ft tide, I have to estimate the heights involved to make sure I can make it work. Not to mention tying up to "clean" docks (little barnacle cover, etc.). I hate to pay the marina fee for laborers and manlift just to replace/repair and tape the spreader boots and connections at the mast.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

You can hoist yourself up the mast, or you can hoist a capable friend, to effect the inspection and/or repairs. There are numerous methods and techniques described in this forum and on the web. If neither is possible hiring a professional rigger would be money well spent.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I have to agree with Jim. Going aloft in a bosun's chair is a fairly routine operation. I'm one of the lucky ones. I have daughters that are more than happy to be hoisted aloft. My wife? Not so much.

There is a tall piling just outboard of Biddeford Pool Yacht Club, which isn't far from you, unless you are closer to the New Meadows River end of Casco Bay. Go to the BPYC website and scroll through the photos. You can see the tall piling in the background of one of those pictures. You may want to drive there first, to make sure it will suit your needs. Time the work with slack low. The current can really rip in and out of the pool. Of course, the season is almost over. Can this wait until you are on the hard? On stable ground, you can do a lot with an extension ladder.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

Scott B. wrote:Was the ladder flat against the mast. If it was, how did you secure the ladder near the top before scaling it.
Hum, now that you mention it, I may have used the main halyard just to steady the top of the ladder. I was replacing the steaming lamp bulb at the time. I didn't try reaching out to the spreader tips. I will need to do that, though, at some point. One cap came off during a storm. I will try to place the ladder to one side. I'll remove the one remaining cap, and leave it uncovered. As I didn't lean out in either direction from the center, I didn't strap on at the top. If I do go up again, and need to lean, I would have to secure the ladder's top.
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

I routinely raise and lower the Mast on my CD 25 using an extension Ladder.
If you drop it just be careful to support the mast above the midpoint so as not to
stress the pivot upward, which is in the wrong direction, lest it break.
Also, unfasten the lowers and loosen the uppers just slightly.
After you do it a few times, fear and trepidation will go away.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I lowered and raised the mast on my CD25 solo using the boom vang (4-to-1 purchase) with a long line and attached to the jib halyard. Had to go very slow to guide the mast. Raising it back up took some extra effort to get a decent angle on the mast for purchase. Please note, however, that was 20 years ago... :)
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!