Best Cape Dory Ever Made

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

casampson

Best Cape Dory Ever Made

Post by casampson »

In your opinion, what is the best all-around boat ever built by Cape Dory? The CD 27 gets a lot of nods on this forum as a wonderful all-purpose boat. The CD 31 has much to offer in the way of cabin lay-out, size, and rig. Of course there are always the smaller boats like the Typhoon and the CD 25 to consider. Some will say that there can't be a single boat that is best, because boats vary according to how you use them. But I still feel that one boat must surely outshine the others. The only question is, which is it, and why?
robwm

Re: Best Cape Dory Ever Made

Post by robwm »

without specifying a purpose then its like choosing between apples and bananas :D ...

For my purpose(s) ..... CD22: a simple boat I can jump into and be sailing in 5 minutes without much fuss alone or with a couple of relatives/friends, while having the option to spend a relatively comfy night out on the lake when the whim strikes. Others, I am sure, will differ; and that is perfectly OK :)

Robert
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

After owning my first Typoon Week Ender, then a CD25 then being *boatless* awhile then another Typhoon Week Ender, another CD25, a CD28 and then some years later the *same* CD28 again, all I can say is the best Cape Dory is the one have!!!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
casampson

Post by casampson »

The CD 22 is probably the prettiest of all the Cape Dories, although I tend to prefer the Typhoon Senior because it hides the outboard. I have a friend who bought a Ty Senior at auction several years ago, and it was the sweetest boat you could imagine. He couldn't resist the temptation to sell it for a reasonable profit, a decision I believe he has always regretted.
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

casampson wrote: ... what is the best all-around boat ever built by Cape Dory? ... one boat must surely outshine the others ...
The one I bought new in November 1980, and happily sold in November 2019.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

The Cape Dory 33, of course. Smallest CD I can stand up and tip back a beer below. Alberg and Vavolotis had their priorities. And knew our sins.
Paul
CDSOA Member
casampson

Post by casampson »

I like the idea of the CD 28. It's not too big and not too small. It also comes with a tiller and a club footed jib, both of which I find desirable. Could be the perfect boat.
Steve Darwin

Post by Steve Darwin »

John Vigor chose to include the 25D among the "Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere," and for good reason: a reliable performer in heavy weather, a 3.5 ft draft that gets you close to the beach for swimming or hull-cleaning, a sleeping cabin with standing headroom, and a large, private head - all in a 25 ft boat! If you're not into cruising, then luxury day-sailing for sure.
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Steve Darwin wrote:John Vigor chose to include the 25D among the "Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere," and for good reason: a reliable performer in heavy weather, a 3.5 ft draft that gets you close to the beach for swimming or hull-cleaning, a sleeping cabin with standing headroom, and a large, private head - all in a 25 ft boat! If you're not into cruising, then luxury day-sailing for sure.
I talked to John when I was looking for a 25D, he told me to get a 27. John said that the 27 gives you more room and it is a faster boat. I think the 27 is beautiful. We could have bought a 28 at the same place for the same price, but there is no engine access on that 28. We chose the 27 and have been very happy with her.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

I was talking with the owner of Bristol Bronze a few years back and he told me that he once asked Carl Alberg if he had a particular favorite from amongst his hundreds (perhaps thousands?), of designs, and without hesitation he replied that it was the Typhoon, because it was one of his earliest and perhaps “purest” creations. That’s not to say that makes it the best Cape Dory of all, but in his heart at least, it was the one that he loved most of all...
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Alan, Thanks for the posting! I can well understand his love for the Typhoon. My very first sailboat was a Typhoon. Lately, since my wife hasn't been able to sail with me for years, I've often thought of selling KAYLA (yet again) and getting either another Typhoon or CD25.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Perhaps to get a most reasonable answer, I would have to sail in each model CD. So far only a 14, a typhoon and my 27. Also only in shore. Anyone Bahama bound that needs rail meat?
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Vigor fans take note: John had a 25D he loved, but he sold it and bought a 27 and sailed it around Vancouver Island single handed, I believe.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Maybe I’m biased and won’t get many votes here, but a contender should be the MS 300. Not as great a sailor as a Carl Alberg CD but very easy to handle, super comfortable with a huge cockpit And the pilot house extends the season in cold climes and offers relief in hot. Great for entertaining large groups.

I just recently sold a Typhoon and have chartered and sailed 30’s, 31’s, 33’s 36’s and one of the three 45’s. If I had to pick one of the Carl Alberg models it would probably be the 36. I’m partial to cutters. The 36 just sails effortlessly from what I remember even in light winds. Plenty of room for comfort.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

The one you own ? :D
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay