Windvanes

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

fmueller

Windvanes

Post by fmueller »

I'm thinking a lot about a windvane for Jerezana.

General comments/experience would be appreciated.

Anybody heard of this company? They have quite a range. They look a lot like the Windpilots (similar compact mounting brackets) but I wouldn't have to decide between the Pacific Light, and the Pacific ie "not quite vs overkill".

https://www.south-atlantic.com.ar/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjif5lq46bQ

less expensive than many others ...

cheers
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
kerrydeare

Re: Windvanes

Post by kerrydeare »

fmueller wrote:I'm thinking a lot about a windvane ... Anybody heard of this company? ...

https://www.south-atlantic.com.ar/index.html ...
Short answer: No. Longer answer: MTF

I used a Navik for a bit over 32 years and found it more than suitable for a CD28. No longer available, but nonetheless quite good if you find one (self-promotion: I can provide spares).

Many use the Monitor (a very fine unit) but to me a bit heavy or over-sized for smaller yachts like yours or mine.. With respect to the unit you listed, it seems to meet the requirements for your yacht, BUT it's not a pendulum system and instead serves as an auxiliary rudder system (not 100% on this based on the somewhat limited photos and drawings available).

By and large the so-called "experts" usually favor a pendulum system. Of course there are arguments on both sides and believe me, I've heard them all many times. However these days with the limited market and the availability of much improved electronic steering, there's less and less demand for such gear. I'd frankly try to find users who have actual experience with this particular gear, and then go from there.

Keep us posted on developments.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

fmueller wrote:I'm thinking a lot about a windvane for Jerezana.

General comments/experience would be appreciated.

Anybody heard of this company? They have quite a range. They look a lot like the Windpilots (similar compact mounting brackets) but I wouldn't have to decide between the Pacific Light, and the Pacific ie "not quite vs overkill".

https://www.south-atlantic.com.ar/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjif5lq46bQ

less expensive than many others ...

cheers
Fred
Very cool. Different models for different sizes. Good idea.

All my experience is with the Cape Horn and the monitor—both servo pendulum designs. But these look like good vanes. If they are involved in the mini offshore race boats they are probably pretty tough. BUT, those are light boats with balance rudders. Not like our boats. Does not man they would not work.

And they have two basic models. Several are in fact a servo pendulum (which is what I recommend as it is the most powerful), while the others are aux rudder.

If I read the prices right they are more than my Cape Horn.... but much easier to install.

I am, in general, not a fan of aluminum and SS mixed together and bathed in salt water. Monitors and Cape Horns show little if any wear after a decade or more of hard use. Mine looks absolutely new. The original Aries vane was a breakthrough design but plagued by galvanic corrosion. Interestingly some are still out there performing well. So good maintenance is an essential component of a key piece of hardware exposed to the west her every day.

I am not recommending a Cape Horn for your boat because that’s not what you asked. But I’d pay attention to the warranty. I noticed on the literature the warranty was for three years. The warranty on my Cape Horn is l25,000 miles or one circumnavigation.” I had some trouble with it tripping frequently on the way home this last voyage from the VI in the heavy sargasso I experienced. I mailed it off to Yves and got it back two weeks later. No charge. Free shipping. They said it failed so it was their fault. I’d take that vane anywhere.

I recommend you contact James Baldwin at atomvoyages.com. He has a ton of experience with boats in the under 30’ range equipped with windvanes and installs them for his many customers. So he may have experience with this vane or perhaps a suitable alternative to which he can personally attest. I have exchanged emails with him many times. I hold him in very high regard and believe you can take his advice to the bank.

Regardless what others may tell you a good windvane is the cat’s meow and I’d take one over an electric auto pilot any day...especially on boats like ours.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Thanks for the long reply John

Very familiar with Baldwin - like you, he is full of great ideas and execution; and generous with information ... and unbelievable sea miles.

I know the Cape Horn is high quality ... but I don't think I want to give up my lazaret even tho there is inherent neatness on deck. The Windpilot looks good to me (easy to mount) but CD 27s fall right in between the Pacific light and the Pacific spec - although I see in their galleries quite a few 7-8,000 pound boats with 20ft L.W.L have used the Pacific Light, presumably successfully.

I think this will be my winter fall asleep dreaming topic ...
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I would not give up your lazarette either. Probably not very big to start with so that makes sense. Day dreaming is half the fun. I’d be interested to hear what you learn and what you decide.
Good luck.
SPIBob

Post by SPIBob »

If you are interested, I have a Navik self-steering windvane that is unused, complete and still in the box. I put this ad here in 2016 http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34075. It's a nice fit for a CD 27 through 30 because it can be mounted flush on the rear deck.
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

SPIBob wrote:If you are interested, I have a Navik self-steering windvane that is unused, complete and still in the box. I put this ad here in 2016 http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34075. It's a nice fit for a CD 27 through 30 because it can be mounted flush on the rear deck.
As noted in my earlier post above, this model vane was used by me on my CD28 for just about 30 years and many thousands of offshore miles.. It is highly recommended, and was marketed by Scanmar, builders of the Monitor system.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

I know the Navik is an excellent unit ... but if it's the one I think it is ... a little more visible hardware than I'd like to have, all else equal ... that's why my bias is toward Windpilot or similar. That's why the Cape Horn appeals to some I think, all else equal ... minimal clutter, but requires space in your aft locker. The very expensive Hydrovane is also quite compact visually - but thats an aux rudder setup. I think maybe our traditional tillered-keel hung rudders (think weather helm) need servo pendulum power.

That new outfit, South Atlantic, I think was started by a former Windpilot employee ... they look identical in concept; ie engineering rip off.

On the Windpilot web sight there is an example of a Pacific fitted to a CD 27.

https://www.windpilot.com/n/wind/en/fot ... CapeDory27

What I can't get my head around is that they recommend that I need the Pacific, which can handle boats up to 55,000 pounds and 60 ft in length - where as the smaller unit, the Pacific Light, cuts off at 5,000 pounds and 27 ft. This has clearly been an issue for some customers because there are about 1/2 doz examples of the "Light" having been fitted to 7-8,000 pond boats nearing 30 ft in length ... hmmm

In the CD 27 example it looks like you can neatly run the control lines snuggly outboard of the cockpit combing boards which would go a long way toward eliminating clutter inside the cockpit and trip hazard outside. Pops thru on a roller mounted in a cutout in the combing board in place of exposed turning blocks. Stays out of the way of my traveller. Really cool.

The transom mount looks like it might be custom ... I think there is possibly interference with the "rebar" back stay arrangement CD used. As much as Cape Dory copiously used the very best marine metal for hardware above deck (bronze), they inexcusably buried trash heap steel where you can't see it or easily repair/replace it.

cheers
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

fmueller wrote:I know the Navik is an excellent unit ... but if it's the one I think it is ... a little more visible hardware than I'd like to have, all else equal ... that's why my bias is toward Windpilot or similar. That's why the Cape Horn appeals to some I think, all else equal ... minimal clutter, but requires space in your aft locker. The very expensive Hydrovane is also quite compact visually - but thats an aux rudder setup. I think maybe our traditional tillered-keel hung rudders (think weather helm) need servo pendulum power.

That new outfit, South Atlantic, I think was started by a former Windpilot employee ... they look identical in concept; ie engineering rip off.

On the Windpilot web sight there is an example of a Pacific fitted to a CD 27.

https://www.windpilot.com/n/wind/en/fot ... CapeDory27

What I can't get my head around is that they recommend that I need the Pacific, which can handle boats up to 55,000 pounds and 60 ft in length - where as the smaller unit, the Pacific Light, cuts off at 5,000 pounds and 27 ft. This has clearly been an issue for some customers because there are about 1/2 doz examples of the "Light" having been fitted to 7-8,000 pond boats nearing 30 ft in length ... hmmm

In the CD 27 example it looks like you can neatly run the control lines snuggly outboard of the cockpit combing boards which would go a long way toward eliminating clutter inside the cockpit and trip hazard outside. Pops thru on a roller mounted in a cutout in the combing board in place of exposed turning blocks. Stays out of the way of my traveller. Really cool.

The transom mount looks like it might be custom ... I think there is possibly interference with the "rebar" back stay arrangement CD used. As much as Cape Dory copiously used the very best marine metal for hardware above deck (bronze), they inexcusably buried trash heap steel where you can't see it or easily repair/replace it.

cheers
Very clean looking set up. As long as the vanes are capable it comes down to cost, aesthetics, some features...personal choice. Being able to reset the course and engage and disengage easily is something to consider. Originally I did not install the remote course adjustment line. I sailed to the VI first time without it—had to go to the vane to do that. Yves was very insistent I set it up for my second trip. Made a big difference. In nasty wx I could make fine adjustment from the companionway. So I didn’t have to get foulies on or risk getting soaked. May not sound like much but I sang his praise many times.

I don’t know anything about those vanes so I can’t comment on which is better. But you seem very sensible and I bet you make the right choice for you. I agree servo pendulum is the way to go. $2200 for a new vane is tempting.

Regarding the steel. Yeah, I don’t really understand it. I’d sure like to have sat in on that conversation. I will say this. Almost all “ships” are made of steel. Steel is cost effective, very strong, and can be repaired/replaced. It would not have been my first choice. They couldn’t have saved that much by using steel over aluminum (it has problems too) or bronze. Composites were not that developed and easy to fabricate like they are now. The biggest issue is it’s just damn hard to get too. Aggravation like that enlighten you to the meaning of “the rage of Achilles....”

I think it’s really the only black mark against the boat other than the difficulty of managing the stuffing box. I have forgiven CD for the steel since I have reaped so many other benefits from the boat and seen first hand its many virtues. If it was easy, anyone could do it. But, I digress....
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Post deleted (responded to the wrong message in a "senior moment").
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

John,

Both Windpilot Serv. Pend. models have control lines ...

thanks for your responses ...
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay