Q Cape Dory 28 outboard motor mount

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Phillipgh

Q Cape Dory 28 outboard motor mount

Post by Phillipgh »

Hello,

I’m reach out to see if any fellow CD 28 sailboat owners can give me some guidance. I just recently bought a dinghy and outboard motor for getting from anchorages into town. To store the motor while underway I bought a five oceans outboard mount for the stern rail t-section. This issue I’ve run into, is the cd28 stern rail T is not a 90 degree angle like the mount. As a result the mount won’t fit. Is there a specific brand of MOUt other owners have found fit, or have you all just had to dremel the mount until it fit? Thanks for the help.

Phillip
Sv Arcadian
fmueller

Re: Q Cape Dory 28 outboard motor mount

Post by fmueller »

I just went thru the same problem ... had a machine shop in Bristol make me two stainless plates (cost = $80) which I thru bolted to the push pit rails. Just sandwich the rails. You just center the bottom bolt hole on the "nearly" vertical rail and that tells you where the drillings on the horizontal rail go ... nominally 7" x 5" 3/16" 316 stainless w. 1/4" bolts. I had to cut down 2" bolts and the holes on the plates wanted to be enlarged just a little because its difficult to mark and drill a round bar "in the field" exactly. So needed a little wiggle room to get the bolts to push thru.

Holds my 3 hp Honda just right. Indestructible.

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fmueller on Jul 26th, '20, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I like it, Fred. It’s a “mid century modern” outboard motor bracket. Simple, elegant, robust.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Fred's mount is really excellent. Another cheaper, less durable alternative is two
flat wood panels bolted together. The cove for the top rail would be cut parallel to the top edges and the
cut for the off-vertical rail made with an angled guide for the router. The angle for one side would be
opposite the angle for the other side. The router bit might be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-18-113-1-I ... B00004T7DI

or, at $18, (if you have a 1/2" shank router),

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsit ... _core.html
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

In the past I've used a piece of plywood and 3 stainless U-bolts. Not as pretty, but cheap and easy.
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

fmueller wrote:... had a machine shop in Bristol make me two stainless plates (cost = $80) which I thru bolted to the push pit rails ... Holds my 3 hp Honda just right. Indestructible ...
Certainly one of the neatest solutions I've seen, so I raise a glass to you. Question: will you put some sort of padding or sacrificial wood or rubber in there so the o/b mounting bolts or screws don't mar the stainless? Seems a shame to ding things up.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

thought of that ... if I can find something. maybe ... so far not much dinging and I can't say I'm too worried about that ... I try to post a pix of the engine "hanging on" ... it certainly works.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay