Access hatch in cockpit sole of 28 Cape Dory

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Capt Rich

Access hatch in cockpit sole of 28 Cape Dory

Post by Capt Rich »

My Cape Dory 28 hull#343 has a Volvo MD 7B that’s in great shape. The problem is being able to do regular maintenance on the engine. Changing the impeller is my current challenge, located on the back of the engine there is no way I can see to get to. Please if you have a 28 with the Volvo tell me how you do it.

So I ordered a Seaflo 17.3” by 12.4” deck access hatch, which will be here on Thursday, and on Friday I’m Installing it in my cockpit sole. So before I saw a giant hole in my cockpit, does this sound like a workable solution?
Happily sailing Cape Dory 28 hull# 343
On the Great Lakes out of our home port of Huron, Ohio
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Re: Access hatch in cockpit sole of 28 Cape Dory

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi:

Well, Pacific Seacraft vessels have a large hatch installed in the cockpit "floor". If they think it's a sound practice, then it probably is.
I installed a 6 inch round access hatch in the cockpit "floor" of one of the Cape Dorys I owned, that worked just fine.

Good Luck,

Tony Jeske
Silver Gate YC, San Diego
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

There's a recent thread on this topic here. Might make for interesting reading.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

A simpler solution to the water pump is a Speedseal cover. The cover is machined with an O-ring and knurled screws. It can be changed quickly by feel.

Eliminates paper gasket and it lines up quickly. I once spent an age trying to fit the cover which I didn't know had non symmetrical screw holes.

Here is a YouTube video. I'm sure there are others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENDgu3Zgg6I
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Speedseal ceased operations a couple years ago. You may find some old stock with a web search. It was a small U.K. family business which closed down after the principal fell ill.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Rockinar

Post by Rockinar »

I have the same issue. Only solution I can think of is to have a teenager crawl in there. Even if I cut a hatch in the floor it would still not be good enough. I need to be able to climb inside there. Not just get an arm in there.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

sometimes you can take the whole pump assembly off the engine to work on it. this is the case with the westerbekes where the water pump cover plate faces to the rear. not sure about the volvos. once you have it off it is really easy to work with. this would require that you detach it from the hoses. also helpful is a handheld mirror. I also did this on my 3GM yanmar.