Replacing the inboard engine

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Howell and James

Replacing the inboard engine

Post by Howell and James »

Any advice on re-engining a Cape Dory 33 would be gratefully received. Our engine on Ragtime is the original Westerbeke (1983) and we suspect that it will not last very much longer.
Frenchy

Re: Replacing the inboard engine

Post by Frenchy »

Hi there -The Beta 25 is as good an engine as you'll find for your 33. I installed
one last year and am pleased. Here's a post.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36874
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Howell and James

Thank you for that. It is just the sort of knowledge that we need to help us come to a decision. We realised that the engine mounts would need to be modified since all the new engines seem to need 4 mounts. Your photographs of the Beta seem to show a robust and familiar looking engine. Given this year's lockdown have you managed to do much engine testing/running in this year?

We don't have the skills or the confidence to fit an engine ourselves, but hopefully an engineering friend who has worked on the old engine may be able to help.

Kind regards
Jennifer Howell
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Jennifer - No, I haven't really run it a lot - about 15 hours total, I guess. But I've learned a few things-
the hard way, naturally. I didn't pay enough attention to an admonishment in the manual to shift only
at a very low rpm and to pause for a few seconds in neutral before going from forward to reverse.
My old 5424 Universal could easily be shifted a bit above idle and you didn't need to pause more than
a second or so in neutral. With this new engine, you really have to be ticking away slowly. Plus, you need
to wait 2-3 seconds in neutral before shifting.
What happened to me, according to the Beta transmission expert, is that one of the cones in the
transmission got jammed into it's mating part when I shifted a little above idle. Following his instructions,
I got it freed. Now, I'm very careful shifting. Other than that, the engine has run beautifully. It starts
immediately, revs up with less vibration and noise than the old 5424.
On another note, I'd love see Wales some day-home of my favorite poet - Dylan Thomas. Perhaps
someday. Good luck- Jean
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Howell and James

Hi Jean,
On seeing Wales. Well we did do a very successful boat swop with another Cape dory 33 owner (staggered so we could be around for each other).
Something for you to think about!
Howell and James

Hi Jean,
I have been studying the photographs of your engine installation and your descriptions. I have also had more information from the friends who also installed a new Beta 25. They went with the option of getting Beta to make an adaption to hold the engine mounts (Beta offer to do this) they are happy with this but say it restricts access to getting falling objects out of the bilge. I like the way you built up supports to take the 4 engine mounts, have you any further information which would be useful if we decide to go down this route?

It seems that Beta 25 is the way to go, they gave me a very good quote for the price of a new engine.

Thank you very much for your help,
Jennnifer
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I never liked the original tubular steel engine bed in the 33. You never know how much of it is internally rusted.
The fiberglass beds in there now will last the life of the boat and support the engine well. They were made up
of 1/2" fiberglass plate in a hollow box type construction, glued with epoxy resin and tabbed to the hull with
two layers of 17 oz biaxial. I also added gussets, as you can see, on the outboard sides.
I opted for the higher ratio transmission (I forgot the number), so that the propeller speed would remain
roughly the same as for the old 5424; also opting for the down-angle transmission. This wasn't absolutely
necessary, but I like that the engine sits more horizontal and that it is a few inches lower, making it easier
to squirm on top for getting at things behind the engine.
The other change, noted in the post, was lengthening the bronze stern tube so I could use conventional
hose clamps on the stuffing box hose. With the old system of having the clamps buried in the fiberglass, you
never know what's going on inside there.
Anyway, I wish you well in getting more reliable power for your 33. That original 5424 was one heck of
an engine, though. Many are still going strong. - Jean
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
tvangilder

Post by tvangilder »

we just repowered our CD36 with a 3 cylinder volvo penta MD17 that we found, tore down, and restored. we couldn't be more pleased with the engine.
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
Home Port: Rock Hall, Md