Going aloft

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Walter Hobbs

Going aloft

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Greetings,

Need to go aloft for a couple of tasks.

Can I send 150 lb man up in bosons chair using two strong guys on the mast mounted winch? One to grind and one to tail. That winch is used for the main which does not weigh 150 lbs.

Having not done this before, we will wear gloves and practice a couple of low deck level lifts first.

Any advise?

Thanks
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Chrisa006

Re: Going aloft

Post by Chrisa006 »

The winch should work but I recommend a third person. The third person tails a second halyard tied to the boson chair as a safety back up line. This is the only way we have ever done it.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Absolutely you need a safety line. I go up all the time by myself...without a second halyard. Instead, I use a safety lanyard. A short length of line secured to my harness, could also be bosun’s chair, with the other end secured with a prusic to an adjacent standing halyard. I slide the prusic along as I climb on accenders. Any sudden pull applied to the prusic locks it down immediately. A prusic is very reliable and safe. Commonly used in technical climbing. I’d use it even if I was being hauled up.

In other words, you could do as you suggest but have the person going up the mast secure the chair with a safety lanyard and prusic to a second static halyard. That person controls the safety line.

You probably know this, but just in case...Make sure you don’t use the shackle to secure the chair to the halyard. Use a bowlin with an additional overhead hand knot to secure the tail. You might want to send someone up that’s light. Like a 100lb youngster. Kids love that stuff. Not a job for Jack Reacher. Reacher needs to be on the winch. Just saying. The most important person in the whole effort is the tailer. Never let anyone tail that does not know exactly what they are doing. Very dangerous to have a rookie tailing. These are just some of the reasons I go up by myself.

Also, some of the smaller winches have a plastic center-stem the drum fits over. I don’t think is safe to haul a person up on a winch with a plastic center stem. SS or bronze center stem is OK. Post a picture from the top.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have climbed my mast alone and have had people winch me up. I must admit that I don't have a very good system for climbing by myself and I should.

Having three or even one person at the base of the mast doesn't seem like a great idea. On boats our size the halyard winches are pretty small as well. I have always used a large snatch block on a stanchion base run back to the primary winch in the cockpit. You can run the halyard through an extra loop of line to back up the block if you feel the need. Unless you have an extra long halyard, you may need to climb up onto the boom before there is enough length to use the winch. All of this effort gets all the deck people out of harms way if something were to be dropped. It also gives them a better view of what is going on and puts the halyard on a bigger winch. The cockpit is a much better place for the crew than right under the work area, craning their necks to look straight up.

A prusic knot works much better if the line it is running on, is lightly secured at the bottom. It is hard to slide it up it the tail is not fastened. It the halyard is fastend tight the prusic will not grip as well. I have also used a piece of line or webbing run around the mast with a larks head. I figure it will stop you at the spreaders in a worst case.

Always bring a light line to be able to pull up any tools you might have forgotten and to bring up a camera once the work is done. I installed a pair of mast steps on Raven that are about 4' down from the mast head. Almost all of the work you are going to be doing is at the mast head. Having the fold down steps there allows me to take all the tension off of the climbing system and gives me a better position to work on the mast head. You can stand with both feet on solid steps and with a waist line around the mast, you are in a hands free and stable position.

Mostly, have fun. The top of the mast gives you great views of your surroundings and a different perspective of your boat, Steve.
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Thank you for all the suggestions .Lots of good ideas.

Lightest of us is about 140 lbs. if he is not comfortable or there is to much wind we will abort.

Rather pay the yard crane service than hospital bills.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

As a climber, I would strongly recommend use of ascenders or three prussic (chest, and one for each leg) knots. Technique is commonly used for self rescue after falling into a crevasse on a glacier and the process can be readily goggled. It is very safe minus failure of the halyard. Use a second line and know to self belay in case of equipment failure.

While this allows for one person work, I would never recommend not having a second person(even a child) to observe and go for assistance should the AC ended become incapacitated.

Pete
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

psjanker wrote: I would never recommend not having a second person(even a child) to observe and go for assistance should the AC ended become incapacitated.

Pete
I agree it’s a good idea to have a second person on hand and a second halyard as a safety line with someone belaying the climber. But it’s not always possible. In fact, for me, I almost never have a second person unless my wife is on the boat.

I climb the mast 8-10 times a year. When working on a project I might climb multiple times in a single day. If you set it up right it’s not hard to climb...and it’s quite safe. It’s all in the legs. Below are a couple pictures of my climbing rig. I also use a short lanyard, not shown, about 8mm diameter secured to my harness with a prusic on the other end connected to a second halyard. I slide the safety up as I go. I’ve never had a bit of trouble. I maintain my gear and inspect it carefully before and after every climb.

To me, if you are voyaging, being able to climb your own rig is essential to ensuring the safety of the boat and crew by ensuring the rig is properly inspected and maintained. If you are unable to climb your rig at a minimum I recommend you have a competent person climb and inspect the rig every year. Vigor’s Black Box theory especially applies to rigs.

But, you don’t have to have a climbing rig. I also have a four part tackle and a boats’n chair. I don’t carry dedicated line for this second climbing system—I use my 250’ stern anchor line which is 1/2” three strand nylon. It works fine just more complicated and tiring and takes a longer to rig, use, and stow. But, it’s good to have a back up system when voyaging. And there are few times when having a boats’ns chair is actually preferred.

Anyway, while it’s good to have help, IMO it’s not always practical or necessary.

Safe climbing everyone.
Attachments
C5C2E865-37AF-482A-892E-ED1C35EE34FE.jpeg
C5C2E865-37AF-482A-892E-ED1C35EE34FE.jpeg (784.99 KiB) Viewed 384 times
2CB7DBFA-BDC4-466A-B746-315C514A1837.jpeg
2CB7DBFA-BDC4-466A-B746-315C514A1837.jpeg (380.38 KiB) Viewed 385 times
April 2016. Virgin Islands.
April 2016. Virgin Islands.
ACB7B33A-6A20-4BCF-9C33-244AB5AEB3F6.jpeg (265.56 KiB) Viewed 385 times
Keith

Post by Keith »

I use a mast mate and go up solo all the time with a harness and safety line. It's is one of the best purchases that I have made.I bought the longest one that they had incase I ever more up to a bigger boat. You can see the extra length coiled on the deck.
view from the top2.JPG
view from the top2.JPG (121.93 KiB) Viewed 296 times
view from the top1.JPG
view from the top1.JPG (109.64 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Keith
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I have a mast mate system also, I managed to buy a used one that had only been tested once in its lifetime. I also have a six part tackle and enough 3/8 nylon to get me to the masthead. The 3/8” is also my emergency dock line/anchor rode/halyard/sheet/tow line...take your pick. My preferred method of ascending a mast is to watch someone else do it at a distance.....or helping someone ascend their mast.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time