Trailers and Boats

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Trailers and Boats

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Susan B is being sold, just now. So the question comes on what to sail here on Buzzards Bay. Why is Susan B gone, in essence, infrequent use coupled with high cost. I am in small cottage colony on the Bay with ramp. But I know nothing about trailers or boats that ride on them. However, I am thinking that maybe a Typhoon or similar might work out IF it can live on the trailer in my yard, be launched for the season at the ramp, and rigged by willing or unwilling family helpers. This could all work for me (maybe) without the trailer being too roadworthy as I can get to the ramp without using a public way. It is only a few hundred yards. I would not need a vehicle with a hitch or the skill to navigate a trailer as I have neighbors who can help me out with this.

I welcome thoughts on this. As a friend said sometime ago “I am old, but I’m slow”
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Walter Hobbs

Re: Trailers and Boats

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Not to steer you away from our beloved CDs but maybe a catboat would be easier to launch and recover. You could go as small as a beetle cat or a little bigger Sanderling 18. I see several Typhoons on trailers around here, (Narragansett Bay) but I think some of them are craned onto their trailers.
A Sanderling is in my thoughts when I can no longer handle my CD 27 and I could park it in the driveway and cut the yard bill.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

I have trailered and launched with the help of my mate or a friend since 1990 on a roller-style trailer. 45 minute drive to the lake twice a year pulled by a Ford F-150. it sits in the backyard from Nov to April under a canvas cover. I jack the Ty up and block it under the keel with just the rollers balancing the boat and not supporting any weight. Trailer does require a tongue extension of eight feet to launch or load as a float on.
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

Given where you live, I would suggest a bullseye or doughdish. There is a lot of wind for a cat boat with one big sail.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Hi Dick,

I have been trailering my Typhoon since 2016, launching and hauling it myself each spring and fall. My wife and I have no problems doing it with just the two of us. With the right equipment like an A-frame to bring the mast up and I'm sure I could even do it single-handed; it would just take longer.

The important factors to launching a Typhoon at a boat ramp are the type of trailer and the slope of the ramp. We have a custom Triad float-off trailer with an 8-foot tongue extension that works fine at steeper ramps, but doesn't get the boat deep enough at gently sloped ramps. If you don't have a tongue extension you can jury-rig a solution with a towing strap, but it is not nearly as satisfactory. I recommend that you check out the ramp near where you live to see how steep it is and whether it is suitable for the Typhoon's 2'7" draft.

Trailering a boat requires a special set of skills that you will need to learn. I was an experienced sailor when I bought my Typhoon--I had owned boats for some 35 years, lived aboard for a dozen years, cruised extensively, and I thought I knew a thing or two about boats. But backing a trailer and packing a wheel bearing were not skills in my repertoire. However, those skills can be learned with a little research, patience, and practice.

The Typhoon is a sweet boat for daysailing. I don't think you would go wrong with a Bullseye or Doughdish either, as Jeff D suggested. I looked at both of those boats and found them too expensive for what you get, and decided on the Typhoon.

In a pinch you can also weekend the Typhoon. A trip over to Cuttyhunk or Bassetts Island would not be out of the question. With the Bullseye and Doughdish you would be boom-tent-camping.

Lots to think about!

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Congratulations on selling Susan B.

My first thought was exactly what Walter proposed. Or Jeff for that matter. A Typhoon is a handful to launch and rig. It also requires a pretty hefty trailer.

I always thought cat boats looked kind of pudgy but have come to appreciate them more as time goes on. Having a boat that you could run right up on the beach would be a great advantage. If you are staying in the comfort of your cottage I doubt you will be doing any overnights. A big cockpit and a simple boat seem like a idea, Steve.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

I can second everything posted so far. You can absolutely do what you suggest: trailer a Typhoon, store it at home, launch it yourself, and raise the mast with a helper or two. But you do need a good deep ramp and a tongue extension, or a neighbor who REALLY doesn't mind getting their truck wet. :wink:

You probably already know whether or not you want to stick to an Alberg or not. If you do, then Typhoon it is! If not, something lighter with a centerboard would make certain parts of life easier.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If brand loyalty is really important to you and you don't care to deal with the weight and drat of a Typhoon, there is always the Handy Cat. It will be much harder to find one but they are pretty cool boats, that would lend themselves well to your situation, Steve.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Come on. You know you want one. Get a 420 with a trapeze and get that baby on a plane!
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Agree with Steve and others. A small cat seems like the solution to me. Great initial stability, shallow draft, simple rig. Any doubts about the wind prediction just put a reef in ........simple to shake it out if the winds are light.
Orion is located on West Cove in Noank, it is narrow and the channel has thin water just outside it. There’s a fellow with a Handy Cat which I see often. No engine....and he has to frequently tack against the prevailing south westerlies while avoiding the boatyard traffic to get into Fishers Island Sound. That is one beautiful looking catboat. He often tacks in close to me since I am in the end slip.
There is also a Beetle Cat in the cove. Beautiful wood boat but the cost of purchase and ownership would make it prohibitively expensive for many.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

Hi Dick, are you going to launch and haul every time you sail or be on a mooring for the season? JD
MHB Sailor
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

The trickiest part of launching and hauling a Typhoon is stepping and unstepping the mast before and after. I offer a simple mast-raising accessory that doubles as a mast carrier during transport - it is basically a telescoping aluminum stand that sits on the rear deck and has a roller at the top. When secured to the boat, it allows one person to easily roll the mast fore & aft in order to reach the tabernacle without having to have a helper standing on a ladder behind the boat to balance and steady the mast. With the mast raised up off the deck to a height of 5’ on the stand it becomes very easy to raise and lower the mast using the main halyard attached to the trailer winch running through a roller on the winch stand (my trailers all have a tall winch stand that doubles as a mast carrier). Although it is possible (I’ve done it), for one person to now raise or lower the mast by themselves, I definitely recommend having a helper on hand to steady the mast from swinging side-to-side during the critical mid-stage of the process... If anyone is interested in seeing pictures of the mast-raising system feel free to contact me by email, IM, phone or text @ 843-450-2498.
As for the actual trailer itself, much depends upon the slope of the ramp, as others have mentioned - also the state of the tide, you’ll need at least mid-tide or rising if at the ocean. I have successfully launched and hauled Typhoons using both bunk-style and screwjack (“poppet”), trailers without tongue extensions, but it usually means backing the tow vehicle in further than what is desirable (rinse well afterwards!), so a tongue extension of 5-8’ useable length is preferred. Another helpful tip is to mount low-profile “pontoon” wheels on your trailer - these will lower your trailer another 4-6”, which may just be enough to help float it off in an “iffy” situation. They are also highway-rated and have the weight capacity to easily carry the 2,500 lb. load of boat and trailer. I also recommend installing a SS boweye on your Typhoon (or Bullseye or other), to facillitate the process of both launching and trailering, and having tall pvc-covered guideposts on the trailer helps you to judge your approach when you can’t see the submerged trailer in 3-4’ of water.
Finally, if a Bullseye (or Typhoon), is what you decide to go with, I happen to have a lovely one for sale - freshly Awlgripped with new sails and trailer - happy to provide photos of either...
Best of luck in your search!
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Thanks, all. I am investigating small cats and other small boat options thanks to recommendations here. I would keep any boat on a mooring, no docks around here. With sons and their wives in the early 40s plus young children it seems I am moving toward being the Commodore of a mini fleet e.g. sunfish, cat, canoe, kayak, and numerous floaties. That, it seems is what will keep the the family coming and entertained (in addition to food drink and accommodation).

Will keep you posted. I still have the fever.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

I second the Doughdish, H-12 recommended by Jeff. I have launched and hauled my 12 at the public ramp at the end of my street without problem, with only my wife in the truck drivers seat. You won't find a small sail more suited to Buzzard's Bay, the H-12's birthplace in 1914. A true native son. Only downside may be initial cost as these gems are in high demand.

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

The ramp needs to be long and deep.
You need a serious tow vehicle.
The biggest fear is backing off the end of the ramp, that could result in BIG trouble.
When launching, I have to back down, block the trailer wheels, disconnect & pull forward,
add a 12' extension, reconnect and back down till she floats.
For some damn reason I can't copy & paste@#$%&?!
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam