CD33 chainplate question

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

alemon

CD33 chainplate question

Post by alemon »

Hi everybody. This is my first post here as the potential new caretaker of our family’s 1980 CD33. I’ve been reading everything I can find on these boats to educate myself on what I am getting myself in to. I gather the chainplates are the area of concern on these boats - particularly the mild steel backing plates that were used. What would other owners recommend in regards to maintenance and inspection of these areas? If water leaks are the root cause of the corrosion is it possible to rebed the chainplates to prevent deck leaks? My concern is that I may not even be able to inspect their condition due to their inaccessibility. Curious what others have done or are doing to prevent this issue from compromising their rigs? Thanks!
Frenchy

Re: CD33 chainplate question

Post by Frenchy »

You're right - keeping the mild steel dry is the key. If you look in the head cabinet, you
can see some of the port side reinforcement and similarly, if you look up in the starboard closet, you can see
the steel there as well. By removing the liners farther aft, you can see more.
My chain plate backers are in good shape, despite the boat being in salt water for over 30 years, seasonally.
My sense is that it's uncommon for those to rust badly.
Still, it would be good for me to rebed- something I haven't done yet. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
alemon

Post by alemon »

Thanks, Jean. Appreciate the reply. Did you open your liner at all to inspect these or know anyone that has?
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I think the liner I was referring to is the one along the hull, above the ceiling slats. I remember there are
a couple of pieces you have to remove to get access. Then, with a mirror, you can get a pretty good picture of
what the reinforcement looks like. It's what you would have to remove to get at the chainplate nuts. Good luck.
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts