Leaking stuffing box access

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Green Horn

Leaking stuffing box access

Post by Green Horn »

Hi everyone,
The stuffing box on my Cape Dory 28 is leaking at a rate of 2 seconds per drip when the engine is running and 20 seconds per drip when it's off. I know I need to get down there with 2 pipe wrenches and tighten the stuffing box nut or worse, repack it. The problem is accessing it through the lazarette. How is it possible to get in there and use 2 wrenches to do this? How do people do it? I don't think I can fit in the lazarette. Has anyone ever bought an abandoned CD28 and found a rotting corpse in the starboard-side lazarette? I feel sure that it has happened. If anyone has experience getting in there please advise how you did it.
My alternate solution is to cut a hole in the cockpit sole and install a bomar access hatch. I don't want to do this, but I may have to. What is the best way to cut the hole? Will a dremel work or should I use something else?
Thanks for your help!
Steve Laume

Re: Leaking stuffing box access

Post by Steve Laume »

The short answer to your questions is to hire a mechanic.

I get to the stuffing box on my CD-30 by laying a camping pad on top of the engine and going in that way. I have installed a dome light and open both cockpit hatches for better light. It is still a tight squeeze to fit in over the engine and not every body type may fit.

As for cutting the hole in your deck; if you have to ask if a Dermel tool is right for the job, you may want some assistance or have someone else do the work. I know a lot of people use Dermel tools for all sorts of jobs but I have always considered it to be a hobby or crafts tool. I don't even own one anymore. I do have a flexible shaft tool that is much more powerful and easier to control but would not use that for your job either. You could easily cut out a deck section with a regular saber saw or a multi tool. Keep in mind that cutting the hole is only a small portion of the job. You will also need to rout out and seal the core then seal and fasten the hatch in place.

Having a mechanic replace the packing may be a much cheaper and easier option than installing a hatch, Steve.
Green Horn

Post by Green Horn »

Thanks for the advice Steve. The problem with boat mechanics is that they don't want to work on a small old boat. Anytime I call one all I get is "we're slammed right now" etc. But if it's a big expensive boat they do seem to find time for them. But I do agree that it might be the best way to go if I can find someone who will do it.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

To simply adjust the packing gland, I use a long screw driver/pry bar and a hammer. Lay down head first in the starboard lazarette and you should be able to reach both nuts. To replace the packing requires I go all the way in head first. Not a fun job.
Green Horn

Post by Green Horn »

Hi everyone,
Well the stuffing box has been tightened and I was even able to get into the lazarette and out of it. It required 3 tools and a mechanic to make this happen. - a pipe wrench to hold the stuffing box in place because the 2 nuts were frozen (it appeared to have been a long time when this was done last). We wedged the pipe wrench up against the hull and then used 2 wrenches to bust the nuts free. The direction to open the locking nut is towards the port side on my boat. Leak issue solved.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Green Horn wrote:Hi everyone,
Well the stuffing box has been tightened and I was even able to get into the lazarette and out of it. It required 3 tools and a mechanic to make this happen. - a pipe wrench to hold the stuffing box in place because the 2 nuts were frozen (it appeared to have been a long time when this was done last). We wedged the pipe wrench up against the hull and then used 2 wrenches to bust the nuts free. The direction to open the locking nut is towards the port side on my boat. Leak issue solved.
Great job. Some of the lockers and spaces you have to access in a small boat require all your ingenuity.