Question: Need recommendation for through hull step wrench

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Kickin Bears

Question: Need recommendation for through hull step wrench

Post by Kickin Bears »

Subject title says it all. I’m seeing some for $40 and some for $80+.

I plan on replacing two through hull blocks that are rotted with glass blocks I made. Wanted to add a step wrench to my toolkit, but don’t understand the price differences

Appreciate your feedback / guidance!
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Re: Question: Need recommendation for through hull step wren

Post by sgbernd »

I can't comment on the price differential, but purchased the Buck Algonquin step wrench (~$40) some years ago and found the wrench channels were too narrow for the keys inside the Spartan thru-hulls so it could not be used. I had the channels milled out a bit at the machine shop to make it useful.

Steve
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

^^^ thx for the heads up Steve. That was one of the step wrenches I was looking at

Do you think I could use an angle grinder to open the channel, or is the blade too thick?
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

Talked with John @ Spartan. He said they use a radiator valve spud wrench for the job.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I use a piece of 1/4" thick steel bar I purchased at Lowes. I cut it about 6" long and just wide enough to fit into the through hull. Put a large wrench on the end that sticks out. I was able to remove all ten of the original through hulls on the Far Reach. Just cost a few dollars. Here is a link. First tool described at the top of the page.

http://www.farreachvoyages.com/tools.html
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

^^ I like it. Thank you!
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I use the steel bar, like John. For removal, I found I needed to bring 3 to the boatyard to get all of them done since some were so stuck that I twisted the steel bar before getting them removed. One got bent too much to use. One got kinda bent but remained usable and the third remained unused. Total cost was about $5 for the steel bar and 3 minutes with a hacksaw.
The thru-hull wrench (borrowed from a friend) was useful for reinstallation since it was easier to position the threads to engage correctly since it didn't wobble.

Jeff
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

Bought a spud wrench at Home Depot for 15.00 to remove and replace the two cockpit drain thru-hulls on my '76 Typhoon weekender. Heavy duty item that fit perfectly and worked well.
camroll

Post by camroll »

I've just stuck the end of an extension for a 1/2" drive socket in the hole and turned it with the socket wrench. On a larger hole just cut a couple of notches in a socket that will fit in the hole.
Russ
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

This is what I have and have used successfully. I think I paid about $10 (maybe more) 2-3 years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

If I recall correctly, I needed to widen the channels to 3/8" from 1/4" so an angle grinder might not be the best tool choice. I think they used a mill.

Before I got the step wrench, I pulled a couple using a regular Craftsman wrench. Find a size that jams into the tabs, open end or box end doesn't matter. Then put a very large adjustable Crescent wrench on the protruding wrench for leverage and out it comes. Horribly abusive on the wrench but it did the trick and didn't break.

But as mentioned elsewhere, the step wrench is the better approach, especially when reassembling.

Steve
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

I just hunted thru my combination wrench collection for one that fit in the hole and caught the tabs, then put a big adjustable wrench on it and turned. Worked every time.

Best of all its free and always available.

Boyd - Former Cape Dory 30 MkII owner
s/v Cat-A-Tonic
34' Prout Catamaran
Fort Lauderdale, Fla