typhoon Lewmar Wich

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ty3

typhoon Lewmar Wich

Post by ty3 »

can anyone help re: taking my winch off the winch stand? Do i remove the clip on top first or remove the winch from the stand using the bolts that hold the winch to the stand?

much appreciate the advice!

Ty3
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: typhoon Lewmar Wich

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

ty3 wrote:remove the winch from the stand using the bolts that hold the winch to the stand
At least that is how I did it when I removed the winches from my CD 25D and kept the winch stands. :roll:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

I've never taken my winches off so I don't really know what I'm talking about :D BUT you might find that you can't remove the bolts from the winch stand without accessing the top ends of the bolts, and you can't access the tops without taking the winch apart.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Ben may well be correct. These days I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast. :( :(

Also, it may depend on the winch model, etc. I removed Lewmar No. 7 bronze wnches from S/V Bali Ha'i and replaced them with upgraded versions. I do not recall any disassembly of the Lewmar winch. I think I removed 5-6 bolts under the winch stand and lifted the winch off the stand. But, like I said that was several years ago and I am just trying to remember breakfast today - eggs or cereal :?:

I wish everyone a safe and Happy Thanksgiving :!:

Felice Ringraziamento :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
FMR Wayne

Post by FMR Wayne »

I have a 1975 Typhoon Weekender and I serviced my winches last summer 2019. The bolts that hold the winch to the stand have a phillips head to them. I had to take the drum off first so I could hold the bolt from turning. The whole deal is very easy so not to worry!
Wayne
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Yes remove the bolts at the bottom (where winch attaches to winch stand).

Real easy to do.

Google Lewmar 7 many pictures of what if looks like. Get lewmar winch kit with grease, clean, regrease, etc.

Easy.,,

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
ty3

Post by ty3 »

Thanks all.

I took apart the winch after I removed the winch stand from my boat. Found pretty good instructions on servicing a #6 Lewmar single speed winch online. Couple of decent Youtube instructions which also helped. Took them apart, which had not been done in many years I'm guessing, lubricated the pawls, cleaned them up and now just need decent weather this Spring to try them out!

Ty3
ty3

Post by ty3 »

Small bit of advice re: servicing Lewmar winch. Guessing it had been many many years since my Ty winches had been lubricated. Had a difficult time removing the pawls due to the amount of crud that had accumulated. I decided to try and first soak them in mineral spirits to loosen the crud. Spirits did the work and made it much easier to pop the pawls out.

Ty3