Prop Paint

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pvisich

Prop Paint

Post by pvisich »

Looking for suggestions on what I should put on my prop after soaking it in vinegar and then sanding it down to a very clean bronze surface on my CD 30 MK2. Have a brother that swears by Rust-oleum cold galvanized compound (93% pure zinc added) that you can buy at Home Depot. Interestingly, when I asked someone at local boat yard about using this product, he was quick to say this would be an issue with electrolysis, but I see other boat prop paints that have zinc in it. Thoughts?
bottomscraper

Re: Prop Paint

Post by bottomscraper »

I have been using Rustoleum and other brands of cold galvanizing spray paint for years. I have also tried Pettit "PROP COAT BARNACLE BARRIER", which I believe is functionally and visually identical to the other brands of cold galvanizing zinc paint. The zinc paint isn't a perfect solution but it works rather well if you use your engine on a regular basis. I typically still get a couple of barnacles but they are easy to remove. I don't think there is any problem with electrolysis. Zinc is one of the least nobal metals, that is why we use it for sacrificial anodes.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Jim Evans

Post by Jim Evans »

Also concur with using zinc paint on the prop. I've been using Barnacle Barrier for 15 years, and it helps on the Chesapeake - but it certainly doesn't prevent all growth. I found this article in Practical Sailor on using diaper cream (rich in zinc oxide) on the prop before launching, and I tried it last spring - figuring there was no downside, and it's cheap. I've detected no loss in motoring speed since launching 6 months ago - normally I would by now. I plan to use it again before my next launching. Here's the article: https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/A ... 907-1.html
Jim Evans
pvisich

Post by pvisich »

Thanks for the responses. Interesting choices!
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I've been using three rustoleum and it works pretty well in Salem/ Beverly MA. A couple barnacles that fall off easily.
And maybe a few stubs that need EZ off. This year we didn't motor a's much and I suspect there'll be more buildup.
It works the same as the Petit stuff which isn't surprising since it's the same compound.

Jeff
pvisich

Post by pvisich »

Appreciate everyone's input. Think I am going to try the Rustoleum this coming year with 93% zinc!