CD25d throttle cable

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

CD25d throttle cable

Post by abcnuzeman »

Was out on my '82 CD25d this afternoon when apparently the throttle cable broke inside the sleeve somewhere. Not sure where to look for a replacement. Anybody have a suggestion. Thanks.
David Owens
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: CD25d throttle cable

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Lucky it didn't break when you needed it. Most cables are pretty standard. Take it off, make sure there is no issue with with the attachment fitting. They can break also. Any West Marine should be able to replace it. If you have the option of upgrading to the non basic cable it’s probably a good move as they can make smaller radius turns and work a little smoother.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Joe CD MS 300 wrote:Lucky it didn't break when you needed it. Most cables are pretty standard. Take it off, make sure there is no issue with with the attachment fitting. They can break also. Any West Marine should be able to replace it. If you have the option of upgrading to the non basic cable it’s probably a good move as they can make smaller radius turns and work a little smoother.
I mean to change mine soon, as I just replaced the throttle control. It's foolish that I didn't already do it.. On my previous boat the cable broke as I was idling up the c-dock to my slip. I could'n shut the engine down or shift out of gear. I was alone . There was no way to turn around . I had a choice of ramming head on to the concrete wall or trying to turn into my slip . Lucky I had lines ready. I turned into my slip and got a line on " almost just in time". I rammed the dock and did a little damage to my bow. Not much though. Nobody saw me. I will change mine now. Probably tomorrow. I guess this is another reason to have a stern anchor ready to deploy in an instant.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
steveg

Post by steveg »

Not exactly the same, however, when replacing my shut off cable, just ordered the part from a Yanmar dealer nearby. It fit perfectly and was easy to replace. Hope you find it as easy for the throttle cable. Please let us know how it goes for you.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I had a shut off cable as in the photo and with the v-drive it went all the around and back to the lever. It was so stiff I didn't like it . I put it inside next to the sink. It is very short and so easy . I put the shore power inlet in place of the old shut off cable. Don't mind the rusty bracket. I replaced that also
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510