On Boat Winter Sail Storage ?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

D n L

On Boat Winter Sail Storage ?

Post by D n L »

In past all my soft goods and sails were removed from the CD28 and stored ashore in the New England winter off season but wondering if others have any successful tricks for storing onboard? She’s going on the hard soon and this year I would need to scramble for rental storage for sails, sheets, cushions, etc.... if not wintered over in her cabin ...All items would be clean n dry going anywhere ...Thanks !
Jim Walsh

Re: On Boat Winter Sail Storage ?

Post by Jim Walsh »

No idea where you are from but in southern New England humidity is not a factor in the off season. I leave my cabin cushions aboard along with my cockpit cushions and running rigging. I have a full canvas winter cover so my boat has plenty of ventilation. I have a couple shallow pans of vinegar which I leave in the cabin and it basically acts as an air freshener. I’ve never had a moldy or stinky cabin over the winter or in the spring.
My sails are checked by my sailmaker each fall and I usually bring them home and place them in a closet, mostly because it’s easier than climbing a ladder and placing them back aboard, not because they would be at any risk aboard.
Conditions in other parts of the country might very well dictate different winter preparations.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
bottomscraper

Re: On Boat Winter Sail Storage ?

Post by bottomscraper »

Make sure the boat stays rodent free. On a previous boat we had squirrels destroy a sail and some interior cushions.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com