Lazy close reach

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jim Walsh

Lazy close reach

Post by Jim Walsh »

Yesterday the winds were frequently veering and hitting 20 knots. Since I was just daysailing I would just head up when necessary to avoid putting a reef in the main, which would have been ideal. Today the forecast was essentially the same so I presumed the 10 to 15 would actually be 20 knot puffs now and then.
I put a single reef in the main, set the full staysail, and a partially furled yankee. I was slightly undercanvassed (the winds were actually pretty steady at 13 to 15 knots) when on a close reach but Orion was balanced so well she didn’t need a hand on the helm for long periods.....why mess with perfection.....
Notice the four telltails on the leech of the mainsail.....all streaming aft.
Attachments
A friend took this photo as he passed by in his Tartan 38.
A friend took this photo as he passed by in his Tartan 38.
FAB02B60-4888-4AC6-B688-CB6FF3284117.jpeg (197.84 KiB) Viewed 625 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Lazy close reach

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

S/V Orion is a beauty :!: :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Jim:

S/V Orion is a beauty :!: :D
Thanks Roberto, it so rare that I ever get a photo of her under sail.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

robwm

Post by robwm »

Beautiful boat and beautiful sailing day ... can't get much better (in case you can't tell, I am envious of your steady winds and long stretches of open water :D :!: )
Robert
CD 22, Hunky Dory
Land-locked on Lake Travis, TX
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Great photo Jim. You’re right, rare to get a picture of your boat under sail. It’s a keeper.
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Nice, Jim. One of the great advantages of the CD31 is the wide possibilities of sail configuration. I've experienced the same terrific balance in 23-25 kts with a single reefed main and staysail, but always fun to have 3 sails flying :D
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

David Morton wrote:Nice, Jim. One of the great advantages of the CD31 is the wide possibilities of sail configuration. I've experienced the same terrific balance in 23-25 kts with a single reefed main and staysail, but always fun to have 3 sails flying :D
We get many of those days here in early spring and late fall. With a full or reefed main and just the staysail set we have a self-tending rig.....delightful.....to tack you merely spin the wheel....no sheets need be touched. Our boats, being true cutters, also balance very well.
All boats are compromises, and rather expensive playthings, but Orion suits me quite well and has proven a very capable cruiser offshore.
Attachments
Orion’s last view of Bermuda as she departs 6/24/19.
Orion’s last view of Bermuda as she departs 6/24/19.
8F4EE53C-33F8-40AC-AA9A-F365D78C6AE6.jpeg (263.87 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Dasein

Post by Dasein »

Orion is a beautiful boat.
It's nice to read posts about reefing before it's a high drama situation; so different from the racing fleet/ownership mentality.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25