New sails for CD 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dasein

New sails for CD 25

Post by Dasein »

Hi all,
Although my sails are still in serviceable condition I'm looking at ordering a new set of sails, or at least a mainsail to start. Headsail is roller furling. Any recommendations? Not looking to sew my own (yet). In the Northeast US.

Thanks for any guidance.

Fiji Gin, 1978 CD 25
mgphl52

Re: New sails for CD 25

Post by mgphl52 »

I've had great service with Precision Sails! They even replaced a mainsail from *my* mistake at no cost!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

Thank you Mike. I'll check them out.

Otto
Last edited by Dasein on Sep 2nd, '19, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Call some local sailmakers, North, Quantum, Neil Pryde. Get some quotes. A good sailmaker will come down to the boat and make proper measurements.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

Thanks Rick.
A local friend had sails made recently and knows the local rep (measurements, follow up etc.) - from one of the bigger name sailmakers. I will follow up with him. I figured CDs you could pretty much just catalog order. I'm somewhat anti salesman/sales process and a sucker for convenience.

Otto
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
casampson

Post by casampson »

I bought a CD 25 last year in Barrington, RI. It came with new sails. The main is loose-footed, full-battened, and made by Doyle. It is a thing of beauty, and I believe cost the PO $1,600. The jib is also very nice and was made by Quantum for $1,400. They are worth the money, especially the main. Good luck with your new sails.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

The thing is, it would not surprise me if there are variations, albeit slight, in rigging used, and placement of mainsail handling hardware. For example, location of reefing blocks, etc. off the shelf purchase may require you to redo any reef blocks, etc. also is every boom length exactly the same? even a few inches of difference means you can’t get outhaul tension over time as the sail stretches.

Agree with other poster on getting loose footed main..

Dasein wrote:Thanks Rick.
A local friend had sails made recently and knows the local rep (measurements, follow up etc.) - from one of the bigger name sailmakers. I will follow up with him. I figured CDs you could pretty much just catalog order. I'm somewhat anti salesman/sales process and a sucker for convenience.

Otto

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I will second the recommendation for Precision Sails. These are not off-the-shelf sails. They are very much custom sails built to your particular boat. The difference is, they send you a detailed list of instructions on how to take the measurements required. If you follow their instructions exactly, you will have very custom sails. I'm exceedingly happy with the sails I received, and the service was outstanding.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton