CD 22 depth meter

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

DougPowell

CD 22 depth meter

Post by DougPowell »

Our recently acquired 1981 CD 22 has a transducer but nothing else. Does anyone know what type of meter/transmitter was used
and is there anything available to drive this old transducer. Is there a way to test a transducer with a multimeter? Thanks CD22 Carina
s2sailorlis

Re: CD 22 depth meter

Post by s2sailorlis »

May want to post this in main board not the sandbox...

To answer your question, Depth sounders weren’t standard equipment. Someone installed it after purchase. Nobody can help you until you post a picture of the transducer. I don’t think they’re compatible with other manufacturers. I would just buy a new unit. Bot post a picture perhaps someone may recognize it...

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
DougPowell

Post by DougPowell »

Thanks Rick. A new installation is what I need. Doug SV Carina
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

If you are going new system, rather than a simple depth sounder consider something like the Garmin GPSMap 742xs. It combines a fish finder (depth sounder) with a GPS chart plotter. There are a handful of transducers available. There is a wide range of compatible transducer types. We have a GT-15M-IH "In-Hull" transducer on Mahalo. The deadrise angle may limit the "In-Hull" options. A "Thru-hull" transducer on the centerline is probably the ideal.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
drb9

Post by drb9 »

I know you say it is a transducer, but, it would be very odd to just have the transducer and nothing connected to it, and no vestigial hole in the cockpit.

Is it possible that what you are looking at is a dummy plug for a knot meter?
I set sail in the confident hope of a miracle
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

"The deadrise angle may limit the "In-Hull" options."

I used a plastic food container, with the bottom cut out and the top cut to the angle of the hull to make a pad for my transducer. Tape it in place and do the epoxy pours in stages so it doesn't cook when curing. Once you build up the pad to level, you can cut away the plastic and glue down the transducer. The depth sounder doesn't seem to mind a little bit of, bubble free, epoxy and it is a much neater installation than the fairing block and transducer on the outside of the hull.

I bought a pretty cheap, stand alone, Humming Bird depth sounder that reads to 600'. I like to keep essential gear separated in a stand alone configuration so there is no risk of a complete failure, Steve.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Toilet bowl wax works wonders. Used it on 2 boats in the past..

Steve Laume wrote:"The deadrise angle may limit the "In-Hull" options."

I used a plastic food container, with the bottom cut out and the top cut to the angle of the hull to make a pad for my transducer. Tape it in place and do the epoxy pours in stages so it doesn't cook when curing. Once you build up the pad to level, you can cut away the plastic and glue down the transducer. The depth sounder doesn't seem to mind a little bit of, bubble free, epoxy and it is a much neater installation than the fairing block and transducer on the outside of the hull.

I bought a pretty cheap, stand alone, Humming Bird depth sounder that reads to 600'. I like to keep essential gear separated in a stand alone configuration so there is no risk of a complete failure, Steve.

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

s2sailorlis wrote:Toilet bowl wax works wonders. Used it on 2 boats in the past..

Okay, this got my attention. Could you explain a little further please. Do you just be the transducer in the wax?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Correct. Molded to remove any air bubbles. First clean the surface, grab some wax and have at it. Push transducer into wax...voila!

tjr818 wrote:
s2sailorlis wrote:Toilet bowl wax works wonders. Used it on 2 boats in the past..

Okay, this got my attention. Could you explain a little further please. Do you just be the transducer in the wax?

REDUX6

Post by REDUX6 »

To Rich's suggestion about a Garmin 742XS plotter, I can vouch for this device based on one season's experience with the unit. The transducer I used was Garmin PN 010-10183-02 manufactured by AirMar as B744V Tri-Ducer Model Number, which records depth, speed and temperature. If you put a Garmin "wind vane" on your masthead, you can also monitor true and apparent wind speed and direction.

Jay Cushman
1983 CD27
Swan's Island ME
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Way too much data for my taste. Windex, tell-tales, angle of heel, and speed over ground tell me everything I need to sail efficiently.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Carl Thunberg wrote:Way too much data for my taste. Windex, tell-tales, angle of heel, and speed over ground tell me everything I need to sail efficiently.
I would like to add depth under keel. :oops:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Don't get me wrong. Position and depth data are safety issues. How you get them is up to every skipper to determine. I'm all for GPS and depth.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton