batteries and solar setup for 24v outboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Megunticook

batteries and solar setup for 24v outboard

Post by Megunticook »

I'm starting to make plans and budget for an electric outboard to replace my 4-stroke. The motor I'm looking at, Elco Ep-5, is 24v.

Ideally, I'd like to have an electrical system aboard that doesn't require shore power to recharge. Since it's a small boat, I'm thinking of putting in just a pair of 12v AGM batteries wired in series. Probably only have 100-150 amp-hour capacity. Wondering if anybody has something like this and what sort of gear they're using, lessons learned, etc.

Biggest challenge may be getting a 24V solar panel that will fit the boat...
mgphl52

Re: batteries and solar setup for 24v outboard

Post by mgphl52 »

Megunticook wrote:Biggest challenge may be getting a 24V solar panel that will fit the boat...
You could keep the batteries in parallel for charging and then switch to series for using the outboard.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

That's an interesting idea, hadn't thought of that. Would need to be some heavy-duty switches to handle the current, it sounds like this motor can pull up to 100 amps.

I noticed that my little portable panel (40W) that I have installed now has an open circuit voltage of 21v. Gensun makes some device that can boost the voltage. Be worth looking into. Of course I'd need a lot more than 40W to recharge that bank after use.

Have the admit the idea of a "zero-carbon" boat is pretty appealing...
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

Megunticook wrote:I'm starting to make plans and budget for an electric outboard to replace my 4-stroke. The motor I'm looking at, Elco Ep-5, is 24v.

Ideally, I'd like to have an electrical system aboard that doesn't require shore power to recharge. Since it's a small boat, I'm thinking of putting in just a pair of 12v AGM batteries wired in series. Probably only have 100-150 amp-hour capacity. Wondering if anybody has something like this and what sort of gear they're using, lessons learned, etc.

That is an awfully big and heavy set up for a typhoon. What didn't you like about the Torqeedo?
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

Megunticook wrote:I'm starting to make plans and budget for an electric outboard to replace my 4-stroke. The motor I'm looking at, Elco Ep-5, is 24v.

Just read your post today. This is what I have done:

I have used a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 as my primary motor on my Capri 22 since 2011. It was moored for several years using just a 100 W 12 vdc solar panel with a Genasun Boost controller that provides the appropriate voltage change to properly charge a nominal 24 volt battery. The solar panel is mounted on some 1-inch railing above the transom.

I recently upgraded the solar panel to 160 watts and the batteries to Lithium (first using Battle Born, now Torqeedo). The lead acid batteries are less expensive at first, but have a much shorter life in years.

When my lead acid batteries failed near the end of one season, I purchased a Torqeedo Travel 1003C. It pushed my Capri 22 very well to almost 5 knots. I regularly use it for my O'Day 19.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

drysuit2 wrote:That is an awfully big and heavy set up for a typhoon.

Typhoon Senior--significantly bigger than a Typhoon. It could be as small as 2 additional batteries, maybe 100-150 lbs. or so total. The motor itself is comparable in weight to the Yamaha F4 that's in there now.
drysuit2 wrote:What didn't you like about the Torqeedo?

Cost! But I could be persuaded that it's worth it. I think the motor is $4K plus more for the Lithium Ion battery.
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

jepomer wrote:When my lead acid batteries failed near the end of one season, I purchased a Torqeedo Travel 1003C. It pushed my Capri 22 very well to almost 5 knots. I regularly use it for my O'Day 19.
Wow...how much does a Capri weigh? I was thinking my boat would need the Cruise 2.0 RL, which they say is equivalent to a 5hp gasser.

I do like the idea of using more advanced batteries though.
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

Megunticook wrote:
drysuit2 wrote:That is an awfully big and heavy set up for a typhoon.

Typhoon Senior--significantly bigger than a Typhoon. It could be as small as 2 additional batteries, maybe 100-150 lbs. or so total. The motor itself is comparable in weight to the Yamaha F4 that's in there now.
drysuit2 wrote:What didn't you like about the Torqeedo?

Cost! But I could be persuaded that it's worth it. I think the motor is $4K plus more for the Lithium Ion battery.
OK so I wrote up my experience so far this year here..https://drysuit2.blogspot.com/2019/05/i ... board.html
And I've attached the cost spreadsheet. the Elco is $2,600 plus the battery, the Torqeedo is $2,000 with the standard Battery. Though I will probably buy a spare next season, because the prices are dropping for LiIon.

I understand that for some 3.5 HP just is not enough to make them comfortable. For me it is. Remember that I don't cruise, and have only used my engine three times this season.

It sounds like you think you need the 5 or 6 HP models. if so than yes the 2.0 Torqeedo 5HP is $4,000.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.