Looking for an oven

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

S/V Ethan Grey

Looking for an oven

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

One of the previous owners removed the original oven and replaced it with an Origo 2 burner. While I am a big fan of the Origo stove, I'm also a big fan of baking bread and making pizza. So, I'm looking for an oven to put back in her. I'm also looking for cheap. Alcohol, propane, kerosene, diesel. I'm pretty much open to anything. Thanks!
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Re: Looking for an oven

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

It’s hard to beat the Origo 6000 for simplicity. It isn’t the cheapest option to purchase but when factoring the installation is limited to simply mounting the gimbals the total cost is only the purchase price. Installing a full propane system might be better for cooking but it adds a lot of cost beyond just the stove. I think most people tend to agree these days that pressurized alcohol stoves aren’t worth the fire risk (though there are probably some who still find them suitable).
Bibster

You might want to check with Southern Cross Ships Chandlery

Post by Bibster »

in Pensacola. They do a sizable consignment business and probably have a few used stoves for sale. Their phone number is (850) 377-1776 and the address is 103 Myrick St, Pensacola, FL 32505.
S/V Ethan Grey

Re: You might want to check with Southern Cross Ships Chandl

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Bibster wrote:in Pensacola. They do a sizable consignment business and probably have a few used stoves for sale. Their phone number is (850) 377-1776 and the address is 103 Myrick St, Pensacola, FL 32505.
Thanks. I'll try to run out there this weekend.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
mgphl52

Re: You might want to check with Southern Cross Ships Chandl

Post by mgphl52 »

S/V Ethan Grey wrote:
Bibster wrote:in Pensacola. They do a sizable consignment business and probably have a few used stoves for sale. Their phone number is (850) 377-1776 and the address is 103 Myrick St, Pensacola, FL 32505.
Thanks. I'll try to run out there this weekend.
Go early on Saturday. Hours are 0800~1800 Tues thru Fri and 0800~1400 on Sat.
SOUTHERN CROSS SHIPS CHANDLERY
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
S/V Ethan Grey

Re: Looking for an oven

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

I can't believe it has been 5 years since I posted about my quest for a stove. Well the day finally came! I found a used Origo 6000 for sale at a great price and now I'm looking forward to installing it into Ethan Grey. It was in pretty rough shape but I striped the old paint off the sides and polished up the stainless. The thing looks almost new now, except for a few dings and dents that I can definitely live with.

If anyone has one of these, I would appreciate a picture of the bottom oven door hinge, where the fuel canister resides. I'm assuming it's just two bolts with nuts and not an actual hinge pin. Mine didn't have the door attached (it's just resting there in the photo). Also the release mechanism on that same bottom swing door is missing, so I'd appreciate a picture of that as well, if possible.

After 2 days of cleaning and polishing, I'm going to fire it up tomorrow and try to make brownies. Maybe I'll take a photo and post it here.
Attachments
IMG_3911.jpeg
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947