Celebrate with me on a 30CD

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sasjzl

Celebrate with me on a 30CD

Post by Sasjzl »

Please celebrate with me, and my better half, and my newly acquired CD30c.

Now, can anyone give a relatively handy but rookie CD owner all the hints and tips they might
have on putting new standing rigging on it. I am thinking of perhaps paying a mentor
to help me do it because I want to learn and experience.

Anyone out there in the Oriental NC area?

Thanks,
Jim Lee
steveg

Re: Celebrate with me on a 30CD

Post by steveg »

Welcome Jim,

Congratulations on your new boat! You will find the responses here are of excellent quality. It is the season when people are launching and out on the boat, so be patient. If you post a specific question you will likely receive responses that will be helpful. You can also use the search feature to find previous answers to the same or similar questions. There is some discussion on various rigging suppliers as well as the pros and cons of swaged fittings versus fittings such as Stalock which can be installed without any special equipment. If you are reasonably handy, do some research here, and post the questions you have, there is no reason you can not do it yourself.

Enjoy your boat, it is a great vessel.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Congrats and welcome to the family. Never hesitate to ask questions and noodle on all things CD's here.

Contemplating rigging replacement and other boat projects, if you haven't got it already I would pick up a copy of Don Casey's This Old Boat. It has tons of info that is good advice. Brion Toss's The Rigger's Apprentice is another good one for your specific project, though it does have a fair amount of old school rigging techniques that really don't apply.

Your CD30 manual should have the standing rigging diameters. (If you don't have a manual look on under the about cape dorys tab above or this link.) http://www.capedory.org/cdsoalook-group ... inemanuals

I would replace with the same size and type shrouds and use sta-lock or similar terminals, but that's me. I would also really check your bronze turnbuckles at the chainplates and the tangs where the rigging attaches to the mast. This should be a fun project and give you peace of mind for many years.

Good luck!
Paul
CDSOA Member
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Congratulations from a fellow CD30c new owner. I just got mine about a month ago.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

Congratz! We just bought a CD30C about a month ago as well!

I’ve already submitted my haul out request to replace the standing rigging (which is original ...). I’m going with swage fittings on one end of the cable, and will install sta-loks on the other myself. Will do installation myself, and will pay a rigger for final tune (with me being there to watch / learn)

To keep things simple, take care of additional maintenance, and give us some additional peace of mind, we’ll be unstepping the mast to give it a thorough inspection during the process. Will be much easier to connect standing rigging, check wiring/blocks/lights, and add any additional hardware (e.g. lazy jacks)

Seconded on checking the bronze chainplates on deck. I’m contemplating an inspection of the bowsprit as well ...

Anyway, know you have company (misery or otherwise!) :D