A tip of the hat to Carl Alberg

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Frenchy

A tip of the hat to Carl Alberg

Post by Frenchy »

Some days ago, I crewed on a friend's 33' fin keeler around Boston harbor and the islands. It was a beautiful day, a bit
windy but hardly any chop. The boat was built in 1983, same year as mine, and came from a premium builder. I had a
good time, but after coming home I became very tired. It took all the next day to recover from the motion. I've never had
that reaction with my boat.
One of the other things common with some fin keel boats became evident to me sailing across the Gulf of Maine some
years ago in my Cal 27. About 50 miles or so offshore, a high wind came up a bit after midnight. I don't know what the wind
speed was, but every wire on the boat was moaning - the pitch rising and falling with the gusts. Waves were 5 or 6 feet, as
near as I can remember. The boat, with the main double reefed and the jib furled, handled it well - as long as I didn't try to
point. It was impossible to sail closer than 90 degrees to the wind. If I tried, the bow would catch the gusts and blow downwind.
The lack of a reasonable forefoot and longer keel to grip the water meant the boat couldn't claw off a lee shore. The best you
could hope for would be parallel to the shore - and then leeway would be your worry.
Anyway, I've read posts that claim Mr. Alberg's designs are outdated, superseded by better, roomier, more innovative boats. Perhaps-
if you only sail in 15 knot winds or less and seas 1 feet or less. He wasn't innovative- all designs descendant of the Swedish folkboat-
but why change a great, sea kindly, seaworthy design? - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Jim Walsh

Re: A tip of the hat to Carl Alberg

Post by Jim Walsh »

Couldn’t agree with you more, Jean. I never feel apprehensive offshore. The CD build quality is up to the task if maintained appropriately and the design genius of Alberg is apparent when conditions deteriorate. I could not have chosen a better boat for my intended use.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sailhmlri
Location: Prev. Islander 36 #425 Fyfe & Drum Current: Cape Dory Typhoon #930

Post by Sailhmlri »

So agree with you also! I feel that way in my beloved big small Typhoon. ☺️
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have driven Raven over some big waves and through some steep chop. I am always amazed at how well she handles it. When the bow is up in the air and I am expecting it to come pounding down she just eases back into the water and rarely ever have I buried the foredeck. There is an art to boat design that goes beyond how much room you have down below and our boats excel when things get nasty, Steve.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

I agree fully. My previous boat was a Cal-25 which sailed beautifully. I could (and often did) sail out or my slip, and could happily finger sail thru the marina as she handled like a dingy and turned on a dime. However, when the wind and seas built, it was exhausting to sail. This was due to the weather helm, lack of sea kindly motion, hobby horsing, etc. After a few hours, I was sore and tired and the next day felt like I was beaten up.

I can't finger sail my Cape Dory, and she certainly doesn't want to sail out of my slip (at least safely!) and won't back worth a darn. But when the seas and wind build up, there is no comparison, she is well behaved, gentle motion, well balanced, happily surfs down waves, and doesn't leave me exhausted and sore at the end of the day. These really are sweet boats for unpleasant conditions.

Steve Bernd
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I agree Steve, these are very sweet boats - and I'm grateful for owning one. Especially in their price range, there isn't
anything comparable. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

we need a "like" button for this whole thread
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

A couple autumns ago I went up for the last sail of the season. While it promised a good weekend it was blowing 35knots that afternoon. I'd sailed a fair bit that season including with the family to Isle Royale and back so I decided to go out and anchor. I asked if any of my marina mates would be going out too and I heard the same refrain, "No, this is Cape Dory weather." I like that.

In 17 years of sailing Femme du Nord, including 50knot storms and cold, confused seas, I've never felt worried about the boat. And that is a testament to their design and build focus and quality. Alberg got it right and never swayed from his principles.
Paul
CDSOA Member