Sailing Solo

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

csam57

Sailing Solo

Post by csam57 »

What is the best technique for raising sail when you are single-handed? The other day I raised both jib and main at the mooring, started the outboard, and motored most of the way out of the harbor before cutting the engine. But I found it to be both annoying and dangerous to have the sails up, flapping in the breeze and blocking my view as I cruised down the channel. Leaving the harbor under sail alone was also hazardous, due to the volume of traffic I encountered on the way out. I've pretty much determined that, from this point forward, I want to motor out with at least the jib down. So what is the best approach? Head upwind, tie off the tiller, and go forward and raise the sails? Or raise the main at the mooring, as I've seen many boats do, and deal with the jib once you've cleared the mooring field? My halyards are at the mast, so raising them from the cockpit is not an option. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Sailing Solo

Post by Joe Myerson »

csam57 wrote:What is the best technique for raising sail when you are single-handed? The other day I raised both jib and main at the mooring, started the outboard, and motored most of the way out of the harbor before cutting the engine.
I generally raise the main on the mooring, motor through the narrow channel and then unfurl the jib and cut the engine. Sometimes I sail out to the bay with both sails loosely furled--the main loosely. Then I gun the engine, shift into neutral, let the boat's momentum carry it forward into the whin while I raise the main. Later I take care of the jib.

My halyards are also on the mast--BUT I have a roller-furled jib.

This takes some practice, but even an outboard-propelled Cape Dory (do you have a 25?) should build up enough momentum to hold into the wind long enough to raise the main.

Hope this helps.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
robwm

Post by robwm »

Having had a couple of close calls trying to back out of my slip in narrow channels with a raised mainsail and unexpected wind gusts, I do not raise the main or unfurl the jib until I am out on open water and able to point upwind. Likewise, I also gun the engine while pointed upwind, throttle fully back and only then go forward to raise the main. Jib is then unfurled. Seems to work for me. Long-term I plan to route all sheets through an organizer to the cockpit.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

My situation is a little different than yours since I don’t have a furling jib or inboard engine. All halyards terminate at the mast. I think it’s a mistake to run all those lines to the cockpit...though some people prefer it. Whether I am on a mooring or anchored I prepare everything first. Make sure all the sheets are routed correctly, winch handles are within reach, sailcovers off, mooring pendant is clear and tail is flaked out ready to release, my anchor is ready to be employed if necessary. I never leave the slip or a mooring without the sail covers off, the halyards attached, and the sheets flaked out. Engines sometimes fail...

I leave the tiller loose and able to move back and fourth. I release the mainsheet snd push the boom out so there is slack running through the main sheet blocks, then let go the boom and let it hang naturally. I hoist the main. I coil and stow the halyard. I go forward to the mooring pendant and wait. When the boat swings back in the direction I want to go and the boom is clearly indicating I have enough wind angle to sail I let the mooring pendant go and calmly walk back to the cockpit, take the tiller and haul in on the mainsheet and gather headway and sail off. Once clear of the mooring field I engage the windvane, I have also just tied the tiller off as well as simply hove-to, walk back to the mast and haul up the jib. I leave the jib halyard uncoiled. Walk back to the cockpit, settle on the course I want and trim the jib and main accordingly. Then I go back and coil the jib halyard.

There is no one way to do this. But it’s best if you develop an SOP that works for you. It’s imperative that you maintain positive control over your boat at all times. It’s generally a bad idea to hoist sails in a slip and motor out. Not unless you are in the end slip, pointed at the channel, and the wind is aft of the beam. I say this from the position that I don’t have an inboard and sail almost everywhere I go. Too many things can go wrong and you also have to account for the fact other boaters either don’t know what they are doing or don’t understand what you are doing and fail to stay out of your way.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Mr John....thanks for all the pictures and narrative from the islands....in your last post you say you have no inboard engine....what do you power your sailboat with....just curious.....will follow your trip back to the states...best to you....and safe travels....
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

shavdog wrote:Mr John....thanks for all the pictures and narrative from the islands....in your last post you say you have no inboard engine....what do you power your sailboat with....just curious.....will follow your trip back to the states...best to you....and safe travels....

Shavedog. Sent you a PM.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

A furler is a good investment. So is an auto tiller. Makes single-handing sooo much easier.

Alternatively run the lines to the cockpit. Not a big investment.

If I were you I’d do as already suggested...raise main at mooring or just raise it in open water.

csam57 wrote:What is the best technique for raising sail when you are single-handed? The other day I raised both jib and main at the mooring, started the outboard, and motored most of the way out of the harbor before cutting the engine. But I found it to be both annoying and dangerous to have the sails up, flapping in the breeze and blocking my view as I cruised down the channel. Leaving the harbor under sail alone was also hazardous, due to the volume of traffic I encountered on the way out. I've pretty much determined that, from this point forward, I want to motor out with at least the jib down. So what is the best approach? Head upwind, tie off the tiller, and go forward and raise the sails? Or raise the main at the mooring, as I've seen many boats do, and deal with the jib once you've cleared the mooring field? My halyards are at the mast, so raising them from the cockpit is not an option. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I sailed solo 95% of the time. So I decided to set the boat up for that.

Furlex for the genny. Tiller pilot to help steer the boat into the wind when I must be away from the tiller hoisting or dousing sails. Lazy jacks to control the main when hoisting or lowering. Most important though, I brought the main halyard and two reefing lines back to the cockpit. I installed a Dwyer mast plate below the mast step for turning blocks for those lines, that went through a deck organizer back to a triple stop (clutch) and then to a self tailing winch I installed on the cabin top. I also installed a tidesmarine "strong" mast track and with the swiveling sail slugs the main will almost always face into the wind when hoisting or lowering even if conditions blow the bow around when you are doing it. Also the "precision fit" of the slugs into the track makes those slides go up and down without binding ( almost never bind). With that setup I almost never have to leave the safety and convenience of working from the cockpit!

A lot of modification but for a serious solo sailor it's worth it. I posted a picture of my setup some years ago. Search under my name and you should be able to find it.
Last edited by Warren Kaplan on Jun 10th, '19, 11:57, edited 4 times in total.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

As Warren mentions: Furlex for the genny, tiller pilot to help steer the boat and lazy jacks to control the main when hoisting or lowering. This will improve your overall comfort and ease of use sooooo much. Dropping and hoisting the main is a snap and reducing headsail as the wind picks up is an ease. The tiller pilot is an affordable start if the others aren't an option currently.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

robwm wrote:Having had a couple of close calls trying to back out of my slip in narrow channels with a raised mainsail and unexpected wind gusts, I do not raise the main or unfurl the jib until I am out on open water and able to point upwind.
same here. jib up first. get the boat moving and decide how much wind you are dealing with. maybe the jib is enough. either lash the wheel or go to autopilot to raise main. do it quickly and efficiently once you start.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

I sail solo most of the time, and as much as I'd like to be able to sail in and out of my slip, I wouldn't risk it. But, that said pretty much follow advice of others. I get everything ready: sail cover off, main halyard ready, sheets in cockpit, etc. Then motor out a short distance from dock point into the wind and raise the main, then unfurl jib. I only got roller furling a couple of years ago and would hank on the jib, have halyard secured near bow, etc. It was always a little harrowing to get the main up, then have to hoist the jib, I just made sure there was enough room around me.

Years ago, at another marina and a different boat I sailed into the slip, others on the dock thought I had engine problems and came running to help. Of course, I had made sure I had a favorable wind to do so.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide