"Leoma" bilge outlets

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

JD-MDR

"Leoma" bilge outlets

Post by JD-MDR »

I didn't get any response on these fittings so I'll post again. I know the purists would like to see solid gold fittings and rocket ship hoses with triple clamped but these household drain fitting fit perfect and are very cheap. I don't know if its a good idea. My neighbor says no, they will vibrate loose. . I'm gonna try it for a while anyway. It's way above the water line and I kept some of the reinforced hose down to the outlet. It fit so nice and compact. The original had the green reinforced hose going way around and back and was kinked a little, that must of restricted the flow by half.
Also I'm having problems hooking up the control lines on my Cape Horn windvane. I think it was really dumb for me to try to put the drum inside the lazerette. I still needed them to go out to the cockpit to disengage. If I put the drum outside like one member suggested . The control lines will terminate at the drum and still only have one set of lines. I hope I can exchange the fiddle blocks and extra stuff I bought. I'm getting the drum rebored to fit the shaft . It is 1/4" bigger outside and I need someone to cut a keyway in the wheel shaft. So I might have it together next week. Then someday I can hook up a sprocket driven auto pilot inside with a sprocket on the aft end of the wheel shaft or worm drive screw. If you haven't read my previous post this is probably confusing. sorry.
does anyone have any experience with "Jefa Steering systems". Please Respond.
Attachments
bilge outlet.JPG
bilge outlet.JPG (134.57 KiB) Viewed 201 times
bilge outlet2.JPG
bilge outlet2.JPG (88.46 KiB) Viewed 201 times
bilge outlet3.JPG
bilge outlet3.JPG (152.72 KiB) Viewed 201 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
hilbert

Re: "Leoma" bilge outlets

Post by hilbert »

John, I have had my share of posts with only crickets for a response.

Here is my 2 cents about the plumbing:
Avoid household items that are designed for a static environment or unsuited for salt water.
Some examples are solid core electrical wire, copper tube for propane and plastic pipes/fittings.
Also, will the bilge pump through hull be above the water line if the boat is swamped and/or badly listing?

We must all use our own judgement and it will be the sea that is the final arbitrator.

I don't have anything to offer on the install of your Cape Horn windvane, except to commiserate that many of my first attempts were unsatisfactory.
I have revisited many projects to make changes and modifications.

To quote Winston Churchill, "Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm."
JD-MDR

Re: "Leoma" bilge outlets

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks Jonathon. I'll consider this just a mock-up and redo it with good stuff soon
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510