CD30 Water Tank

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jbenagh
Salem, MA

CD30 Water Tank

Post by jbenagh »

Y'all can send me to the archives if you think that's appropriate, but here goes:

Has anyone tried to repair or replace the water tanks on a CD30? They were manufactured by Kracor originally and still have the manufacturing sticker. I think they no longer sell to individuals which is pretty recent since I bought a holding tank from them in 2012.

I need to replace the pickup tube and also a bunch of leaks in the miscellaneous fittings that I think I can fix with silicone. The problem is the pickup tube: I will need to add a new inspection port to get access to the back side to use a McMaster Carr part.

I think I'd really like a new tank (maybe $500) rather than spending $100's on mediocre repair. Any ideas?

Jeff
Jim Walsh

Re: CD30 Water Tank

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Ring was able to “weld” his tank to repair a leak. Interesting link here http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35900
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I had the same problem on my CD33 starboard midship water tank. I bought the boat in 2013 and it had a leak from the start. No criticism of the previous owner, it was not discovered until the tank was filled and we had a wild ride down Cape Cod Bay. I sat on the situation for a few years, cruising on the Chesapeake, I never filled the tank. But it was always nagging me. I kept reading and the only fix was trying to weld it with milk bottle plastic, or buy a new tank. Then a year or two ago, the guys at my marina showed me a new? product from West Systems. New fitting, goobered on this 2 part stuff. Voila. Worked like a champ. Don’t get rid of the tank, it can be fixed. I can take a picture of the tubes this weekend and post.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Pretty sure this is the stuff, G flex, mix 1 to 1.. I will confirm this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Jim & Vincent,

thanks for the ideas! Jim, I've been talking with John about this for a couple weeks. It's kind of annoying that the inspection port is too far away from the fitting to reach the back side of the pickup tube that needs to be replaced. We tossed around an idea that involves a bit more plastic welding but I think it can be fixed a lot cheaper and more correctly than I thought.

I'll keep you posted on progress.

Jeff
K Chiswell

Post by K Chiswell »

I’ve got a tank out of my 330 that you may have. We would need to figure out how to get it up to you, I’m in SC. PM me if you are interested.
dr2owen

Post by dr2owen »

I would be interested in knowing what equipment is being used for plastic welding. I purchased a welder from Harbor Freight and it was junk. I also tried borrowing one from and automotive repair shop and it appears a lot of them have quit doing it because they were not successful with the procedure.
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

Check with a place that sell/rents kayaks. They will have a plastic welder for repairs.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
dr2owen

Post by dr2owen »

Great idea - Thanks.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

I had the same problem and used the same solution. I note that the G-Flex is not "food grade" approved. While I don't worry much as the surface area of the repair is tiny compared to the volume of the water, it is something you might consider before going too crazy with the stuff or using it to try and patch from inside.

-sgbernd
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Regarding food safe: is there a way you could put silicone in the cracks, let it harden and then reinforce with G-Flex? Alternatively, I have a carbon filter on the galley cold water which could mitigate any contamination.

Jeff
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

While I was on my way to Bermuda in 2015 I discovered I was losing water from my starboard tank. Since the CD31 has three water tanks it was no big deal. Upon my return to home port I discovered that the tanks vent fitting had cracked where it attaches to the tank. After carefully sanding the mating surfaces I used G/flex to create a fillet around the tank fitting. The repair has held up for several offshore passages so I’m either lucky or skillful.....
I knew G/flex wasn’t “food grade” but much of what I’ve eaten hasn’t been either. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Jim Walsh wrote: I knew G/flex wasn’t “food grade” but much of what I’ve eaten hasn’t been either. :roll:
Dang near all of what I drink isn't either... but it sure makes me feel better... :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

For those who may be concerned, Guinness is "food grade" approved. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Roberto, So true